Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Cancel reoccurring event in the future without losing per-event changes

Windows Software

Old 16-10-2010

Cancel reoccurring event in the future without losing per-event changes

I am having the Windows 7 as the sole operating system on the PC. I was using the OpenOffice and when the MS Office Outlook 2010 was in the market I tied with it. I simply love this thing from the Microsoft?s desk. My only worry is the way by which it is handling the reoccurring events. The situation of mine is that I have two weekly meetings that go on the same day, often simultaneously. I do not get the details of the things in advance i.e. I only come to know about the event a week before. I set up an event for this reoccurring event to continue indefinitely and I think that was the first mistake and each week when I get details, I get that in individual cases. I have several months? worth and I worked in that manner. Now the problem is that the meetings are going to end soon and I will not be requiring this reoccurring thing anymore and when I try to get rid of this the problem arises when I attempt to modify the reoccurrence pattern to stop all the events that I was having in the past also gets back to the default. Can anyone here can help me with this.

Old 16-10-2010

Re: Cancel reoccurring event in the future without losing per-event changes

Many people never make exceptions to terminate an appointment so I am of the opinion that you will have no difficulty in ending a never-ending event. The problem will arise only when you will either add notes to events rather than the series or when you will move an event of a new date and there will be a need to maintain a history. If you change each event so that its bottom of all the exceptions you will have to copy the events and convert them to individual appointments. If at all there are too many exceptions than it can lead to corruption. However, in the case of Outlook 2010 it copies and pastes the series so I think that you will have to just copy the appearance of a new calendar or it may also be that you will have to copy of the series to a new calendar and then there will be the need to Export and Import. If at all you want you can right-click, drag and copy to create a unique event you can do that in a different time interval and then drag it to the right one.
Old 16-10-2010

Does anyone else get a solution to this - I had a solution and I think that it is somewhat difficult but it works. It will make the things almost to the level that you want but it has some problem with the attachments it will not copy and paste attachments that were with the previous appointments. I think that Microsoft should come up with something that can help convert the reoccurring events in the individual appointments. Here is the solution that I have found:
  • First, create a new Calendar folder click on the File then New and then Folder, then right-click the Appointment, and drag it to the new Calendar folder.
  • Then after that click on File then Import and Export and then Export to a file, choosing "Comma separated values" as the output format. If the Outlook asks for the folder than just select the select the new Calendar folder.
  • After that Outlook will tell you that it cannot export the recurring event and will ask you to specify a range. You will have to give the start date of the event, and the end date after which the event must end.
  • After the export will be completed just remove the event from the main calendar.
  • Then Click File and then select Import and then Import from some another program or file. Locate the file that was created and then select it and finish the wizard, specifying your primary calendar as the destination.
  • The events will be added to your calendar as part of any individual exceptions.
Old 16-10-2010

The problem in your case is that you have turned each incidence into a exclusion by modifying it and on top of that resetting the end date is for sure going to regenerate the appointments. If at all you want to have all your data in every possible exception, then just try to export your calendar to the Excel sheet, eliminate the other events and import the now-individual items from the recurring event. After this I am sure that you will be able to reset or delete the recurring event. Now this is just a suggestion for you in the future, please do make the copy of the appointments or the events and do add notes to and if not that then at least keep the end date for all the reoccurring events. So that you may not find yourself in the trouble. Hope that you will get the way out of it now. Do post if this thing really helped you conquer your problem.
Old 16-10-2010

This is with reference to what Sam.D has written he told that the attachments will be lost. I just wanted to say if at you will use the copy and paste or right click and drag in order to make the individual appointments, then along with that you will have the attachments too along with that. It is indeed wise and even a better idea to use this technique whenever an exception is created. As it might get sluggish while dealing with the lots of appointment later. I do not know much about the Outlook 2010 but in Outlook 2007 you can choose the appointment and squash Ctrl+C, V so that an individual appointment can be made out of the recurring. In Outlook 2010, I am not sure but I think that Ctrl+C,V copies the recurring appointment in this case you will have to right click and drag a new time. I am sure in the 2010 there can be much easier way and I think that I will have to do some research for that. Till then you can try this and if you are facing any difficulty with this then you can report me.
Old 16-10-2010

I think that this problem was with the MS Outlook from the day it was introduced. I am pretty sure that this problem was with the MS 2003 and with the MS 2007 and yet they did not rectify it and it carried in the latest MS 2010. I think that we will have to report about this to the Microsoft Desks and then they can take the proper action for that. I think you should also ask the same thing with the Microsoft’s Tech Support and then let us know what did they say regarding that? Well it will be nice from your side if you can just post there reply here.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,