Thread: Can't search emails in Outlook 2010

Can't search emails in Outlook 2010

Friends, I have installed the 2010 Operating System ion my computer. I am using the Microsoft office 2010. The problem is that when I want to search any email on it does not show me any answer even though that email is there in inbox or outbox. It just tells me that “no match found”. Then o fix this I tried to re build the index but that also does not help me to resolve this problem. There is also some other problems with it like it does tell me perfectly unread emails. Please help me to get out of this issue and tell me what should I do fix this problem?

Re: Can't search emails in Outlook 2010

Friend, I have also faced the same problem with the outlook in my computer for a long time and Tried every possible solution for it to get it fixed but all that was unsuccessful. It was very frustrating and I have to see all the emails in my inbox if I want to search any particular email which was very frustrating. Here is what I did finally to get it fixed. You should open Outlook and there click on File > Options > Search > Indexing options > Modify > Uncheck Outlook. After all that click on OK button to save the changes and then close the outlook. Again open the outlook and try to search any email that is there in your inbox. I am quite sure that this time it will be able to search it without any problem.

I think that you have to modify the registry to get it fixed but remember that modifying the registry may also cause some serious problems. For added protection you should back up the registry before modifying that. Make sure that you follow the steps very carefully. Here are the steps to do that:
    1. Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard, and type “REGEDIT”. You will see the Windows Registry Editor
    2. Browse to the following: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search”
    3. You will manually have to reset the value of “Prevent Indexing Outlook” to “0” (without the quotes). To do this, right click on the “Prevent Indexing Outlook” key, select “Modify”, then change the value data to “0”.

In my case when I was getting this problem, I found that there were 2 versions of the office beta that were installed on my computer. When I looked at the installed program then I found that both the lesser and the Premium Pro beta of Office 2010 were installed the only difference was the version number. To get it fix I uninstalled both of them and reinstalled just the Premium Pro version and I found that the dialog box is different t now and I was able to search the emails. You should also check it once in the installed files and if that is the case for you also then you can also do the same as me. I hope that it will work for you. Thank you.

Hello!
    I also faced some similar issue with the Outlook search. Index re-build, pst-repair and some other solutions helped successfully. However, having to that for almost every three or four weeks got pretty annoying...

So I did a clean installation, but this time I'd choose a better search option. Quite a few plug-ins out there. To name a few I've tried: Lookout, xobni, Google Desktop Search, X1 and Lookeen.

My favorites were Lookout for the Outlook versions 2003/2007, and Lookeen for all up to 2010.
    Indexing and furthermore search speed are much increased with those tools. If you need to work and deal with many emails it might be worth a try.

Greetings Felix

@ Felix:

How did you get Lookout working for Outlook 2007? I thought that tool works only under 2003.

Why is Lookeen your favourite tool? What are the advantages in relation to the other ones?

Greets Ben

You can install Lookout on Outlook 2007, first, you’ll have to find a copy of Lookout. Microsoft doesn’t distribute it anymore, but issuing this search on Google seems to find it pretty handily. Next, install Lookout. You’ll need admin privileges (no difference from your operating system), and the install will go without a hitch.

Windows Live Beta or the Outlook Hotmail Connector is the root cause for this problem. And here are the steps to get it solved.

1. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall Windows Live Beta.
    2. Uninstall the Outlook Hotmail Connector also.
    3. Download and install Glary Utilities. It is a free version.
    4. Turn off Windows Search by unchecking it in 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' and for that you have to go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off.
    5. Reboot it when it prompts for that.
    6. Repair Outlook by finding it in the list of installed programs in Control Panel > Programs and Features.
    7. Repairing Office 2010 prompted a reboot, so I rebooted
    8. Turn Windows Search back on by checking it in 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' (Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off).
    9. Again reboot when it prompts for it.
    10. Go to Control Panel > Indexing Options and uncheck/remove every single item.
    11. Again give it a reboot.
    12. Go back to Indexing Options and checked Outlook only.
    13. Wait for 1 hour and don’t use the computer for that time. Ad also make sure that your computer is not going to go into sleep or hibernate mode.

This will solve the problem.

I recently upgraded my outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010. The lookout email search tool has stopped working since then. I really like this tool.

Does anyone knows or have a working version of lookout that will work with Outlook 2010.

I searched around the net but only found those that only work with Outlook 2007. This search tool is amazing and I am hoping someone out there continue developing it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I have found a no of people facing the same, anyways just perform the solution below and it will work fine:
    go in to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features> Turn Windows Features and then check mark the Indexing Service check box and do the same to Windows Search and then click on OK and then restart the computer.

Thanks DougWison. I guess the free tool called "Lookout" will no longer work in Outlook 2010.

My PC is running XP. I installed the latest search tool from Microsoft. I tried searching some contents from my Outlook Archive pst file. I don't think Windows Search tool is able to find it.

Can anyone help?

Have you tried following the below steps:
    You should open Outlook and there click on File > Options > Search > Indexing options > Modify > Uncheck Outlook. After all that click on OK button to save the changes and then close the outlook. Again open the outlook and try to search any email that is there in your inbox. I am quite sure that this time it will be able to search it without any problem.

Thanks DougWison,

My problem has been resolved. I installed Windows search 4.0 from Microsoft, rebooted my PC (xp) and let the full index build completed.

I am now able to search my emails even the archive PST files VERY FAST.

I guess Microsoft has turely integrated "lookout" into their Outlook product stream.

Thanks for all your help.