Thread: Windows 7, Outlook 2010, cannot add Contact Folder as an email address book

Windows 7, Outlook 2010, cannot add Contact Folder as an email address book

I am running Windows 7 and Office 2010 on my home computer. When I try to create an email in Outlook 2010 I could not see the email addresses of my contacts. I have checked by going to Contacts, Properties, and 'Outlook Address Book'. There is an option 'Show this folder an e-mail address book' but you can't select it or make any changes to it. I do not have access to it. Can someone help me fix this Outlook 2010 problem?

Re: Windows 7, Outlook 2010, cannot add Contact Folder as an email address book

This occurs if Outlook does not know where to search for the contacts. Its because Outlook Address Book is not added to your profile. To remedy this you have to add the Outlook Address Book to your profile. First close Outlook. Go to Start, select Control Panel and then click Mail Show Profiles. Double Click on your Profile to edit it. Select Email Accounts. Add a new directory or address book, and then click Next. Go to Additional Address Books, and then click Next. Select Outlook Address Book and click Finish. Open Outlook again, right click on your Contacts and select Properties, then Outlook Address Books. Click on the checkbox that says "Show this folder as an e-mail address book".

I think your Outlook profile has been corrupted. You need to create a new profile and see if that helps.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Copy and paste, or type "control panel" in the Search box, and then press ENTER
    3. Open the Mail Setup dialog box:
    * If Control Panel is in either Large icons or Small icons view, click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.
    * If Control Panel is in Category view, under View by, click to select either Large icons or Small icons, and then click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.
    4. Click Show Profiles.
    5. On the General tab, under When starting Microsoft Office Outlook, use this profile, click Prompt for a profile to be used, and then click Add.
    6. In the Profile Name box, type the name that you want to use for the new email profile, and then click OK.
    7. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click Add a new e-mail account, and then click Next.
    8. Click the appropriate server type for your new email account, and then click Next.
    9. Type your account information in the required boxes, and then click Next.
    10. Click Finish, and then click OK.

I tried your advice by going to the Account Settings and then the Address Book tab. I found one address books over there. But I am unable to delete it since it is grayed out. What should I do now ? When I try to create a new profile, I easily passed out all the steps but got stuck at the place where we have to select "Show this folder as an email address book" option. I cannot select it since its grayed out. Is there any other way to do this?

If that doesn't work then open Outlook and click on Tools Menu. Then click on Address Book. Again go to Tools Menu and click Options. You will now see your contact as an address book. If it isn't then click on Add, then Find Outlook Address books and you will find your contacts listed. You can now just add each contact folder whenever required.

I am having same problem as Abigaill and can't add an address book or do anything. I can see all contacts via "Contacts", but can't find them when addressing an email message.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am having same problem as Abigaill and can't add an address book or do anything. I can see all contacts via "Contacts", but can't find them when addressing an email message.
    Have you tried out the solutions that has been mentioned in the above post?? wasn't they helpful ? if they are not helping then you will have to try out creating a new profile, just check them out and then let me know which solution is helping.