Thread: How to remove drive created by office 2010?

How to remove drive created by office 2010?

Hey, Previously I was using Microsoft Office 2010 but I wanted to install the Microsoft office 2010 in my computer. When Firstly I tried to install that then it shows me some error and the error was that I was already having the office 2007 and it wanted me to uninstall that first. Therefore I uninstalled that first and after that when I tried to install that, it get installed without any problem. Now I have Office 2010 installed on my computer but the problem is that it has created a Q drive which I cannot access. So I want to delete that drive. I don’t know the way to do that so I want you people to tell me whether it is possible or not and if it is possible then how can I do that?

Re: How to remove drive created by office 2010?

You told that you have got this drive when you installed office 2010 that means that you have installed Office 2010 using Click-to-Run. Click-to-Run is based on Application Virtualization technology. The Q drive that is created is nothing but the virtual file system drive where all the virtualized apps in your computer "live" in the file system namespace. It is not a real drive because it doesn’t have any space in it and you cannot access this with Windows Explorer or My Computer. They have removed any access that can hide or delete this drive so you cannot do so. So it will be better for to not waste time in searching the solution for it.

No, this is not possible to hide or delete this virtual drive created by office 2010. This is nothing but the virtual drive which is used by office 2010 Click to run. I have searched for this on internet but not found any solution to do that. But yes you can access that drive. If you want to access that drive then you have to open the office 2010 and click on run application and select open. After that you will have to navigate to Q drive. You will be able to see the apps on this drive but you will not able to access any of those. I hope this will help you to clear your doubt.

You should right click on my computer and it will show you various options. There you have to select the MANAGE. This will open a window from where you can manage all the major properties for your computer. On right pane you will see STORAGE, just double click on that and that you have to double click on the disk management. There you will find the Drive Q. Right click on that and select the option for the change driver letter. In my case I don’t assign any letter for that drive and after that when I did the installation it works fine. You should also try this and I am sure that it will work because I have personal experience of it. I am using LENOVO laptop. And if that does not work in youe case then you will have to accept fact that this can not be removed.

It is true that you cannot remove that drive completely but if you just want to hide that drive then you can do that very easily. But remember that hiding does not mean that it is not there in your system, it will be there but it will just not come in front of your eyes.

To hide that drive you have to press windows key+r and this will open a small window in front of you and you have to type gpedit.msc in that and press enter. After that go to user configuration>administrative templates>Windows components>Windows Explorer and there on the right side of the window search for "hide these specified drive in my computer" and double click on that and select enabled and select q drive in it. I am using Windows 7 and there is possibility that the path in gpedit may be different according to the operating system that you are using but the key name that you have o search will be same as "hide these specified drive in my computer" under Windows Explorer. I hope that it will help you to solve the issue. In my case it was able to hide that drive and it will be better for us to hide that because there is no need to keep that if we don’t need that.

**Hey, Thank you very much to all of you for your replies. I tried each and every possible solution to get it solved but was not able to hide that. I searched on internet but not found any solution for deleting the drive Q which is created by installation of Microsoft office 2010. Finally I have accepted that this virtual drive cannot be deleted from the computer so I don’t want to waste my time for searching the steps for that. Then also if you get answer for this then please post it here. Thank you.