Thread: Error message with Outlook 2010: Deleted items folder is unavailable

Error message with Outlook 2010: Deleted items folder is unavailable

Friends, I have just installed the MS Office Professional 2010 which includes the Outlook 2010. Before installing the MS Office Professional 2010, I uninstalled the MS Office 2007 including Outlook 2007 which was already installed to my computer previously. Now after doing this when logged in to my email ID and when I tried to delete the email from my inbox then or any other folder for the matter then I get a pop up message that which says that "The Deleted Items folder is unavailable." After that I closed the outlook and restarted it to again but that does not seem to solve the issue. I have never faced such issue before so I don’t have any idea to get out of this. Please help me to resolve this. Any help from anybody will be appreciative. Thank you.

Re: Error message with Outlook 2010: Deleted items folder is unavailable

Hey, you are on the right place to get solution for the issue. I have already faced this problem before and was able to resolve the issue. The problem was with the setup of the Office. It was corrupted and therefore it is showing the issue like that. To get it fix I performed the repair on MS office. If you do this then it will replace the corrupted files from the office with the new one and after completing the repair process, reboot the system and look for the error again. This time if it appears again then the only option available to you is to uninstall that completely and again install that with a fresh setup. You can download a new setup from internet or use a different CD for installation. This will solve the problem for you.

This problem may be created with the account type that you are using therefore I want to ask you that what kind of account you are using in outlook. I was getting the same problem with outlook in my computer when I was using the IMAP account in Outlook. You can use the more setting option which is under Account settings; after that connect the Delete Items that is move the deleted items to the folder on the server and save the sent item to the server for IMAP account. I hope this will help you to solve the problem that you are facing.

As you told that you uninstalled the Outlook 2007 to install the new outlook 2010 Therefore I want to ask you one thing here that have you deleted your old profile when you were uninstalling the Outlook 2007? You should delete your old profile if you are switching to Office 2010 from Office 2007. I think that your old profile may be corrupted and that is causing the problem for you. To solve this, You have to create a new one. To create the new profile, you should make sure that you are following the supported procedures for migrating your old data file to the new profile if you want to reuse your old profile.

Guys, I also facing the same error as you are facing. This is very annoying issue. I was not able to find the sent item folder. One of my friend suggested me to do a fresh install of Windows 7. Therefore by his suggestion I did a fresh install of Windows 7 that removes the MS office from my computer and there was no old Ms Office left. Now I can drag and drop items into the deleted folder but it cannot be deleted with the delete button an when I try to send anything, I get the message that Sent Items folder not available. Please help us. Thank you.

If you have the IMAP email account in Outlook 2010 and getting the message like "The Deleted Items folder is unavailable" then you can try the following steps to fix the problem.
    1. First of all navigate to Account Settings any way you care to (File / Info / Account Settings works for me)
    2. Highlight the email account that you are having problem with.
    3. Click on "Change"
    4. Click on more setting button.
    5. Select the "Deleted Items" tab.
    6. Select "Move deleted items to the following folder on the server".
    7. If you have a "Deleted Items" folder, then highlight it, select "OK" and get out of there
    8. If you do not have a "Deleted Items" folder, then you have to click "new Folder". Create a folder and name it as “Deleted Items”, click "OK" and take a break but make sure that it is highlighted.