Thread: Problem importing a csv contact file into outlook 2010 beta

Problem importing a csv contact file into outlook 2010 beta

I have installed Outlook 2010 beta on my laptop recently. I would like to have all of my previous contacts from my office desktop computer onto my laptop. The desktop computer is running Outlook 2003. I have created a backup file of all the contacts in a csv file. But the problem is that I am unable to import it on my laptop. I get the message which says "Invalid SAM ID" and "can't load interpreter". Is this because of my new Outlook 2010 beta or my operating system which is Windows 7? Can anyone help me to solve my problem regarding importing a csv contact file into outlook 2010 beta?

Re: Problem importing a csv contact file into outlook 2010 beta

I think you might have missed some steps while importing the file into your Outlook. Here is how it should be done ideally:
    • Click on "File" menu in Outlook 2010 beta and select "Import and Export...".
    • Check if "Import from another program or file" is selected.
    • Click Next.
    • Check if Comma Separated Values (Windows) is selected.
    • Click Next.
    • Click Browse button to select the csv file.
    • Click Next.
    • Choose the Outlook folder for destination. Ideally it should be your Contacts folder.
    • Click Next.
    • Click Map Custom Fields ....
    • Click OK.
    • Click Finish.

This is most often caused by a different field delimiter that is present in your CSV file. Generally, a csv file uses the semicolon but if you have some other delimiter than that can create a problem. If you have backup your contact file from some software than that may have used some other delimiter. I have read this that there are some software that has a configurable delimiter that has been added. I would suggest you to try downloading and installing the components once again from Microsoft site and install it over your current installation.

But why are you using csv to transfer your contacts? You can use a pst file to export your contacts from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2010. All you have to do is either export the pst file or simply copy the file and paste it on your laptop. Launch Microsoft Outlook. Click File > Import and Export > Export to a file > Next. Choose "Personal Folder File (.pst)" from the list that appears and click "Next". Choose the folder that you want to export and click "Next". Provide the location of the file to be saved. If you want then you name the folder in the next window and select if you want any kind of encryption. Otherwise select "No Encryption" option and click on OK button.

"Invalid SAM ID" refers to a connection failure with your servers. So this clearly indicates that your Outlook doesn't have any problem. This problem occurs if something goes wrong which makes the SAM ID of your computer to be invalid between the server and workstation. To solve this you have to import csv file directly. Go to the File tab. Click Open. Click Import. Choose "Import from another program or file" and then select "Comma Separated Values (Windows)". Click on the "Browse..." button and the select the required file. Follow the wizard to complete the procedure.

I have never came across with this problem personally but as per my knowledge, this error occurs if you have the file contains carriage returns. This also occurs if the file which you are importing has something which Outlook cannot dump into csv format without excluding these out. To solve this problem, use this formula: SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(,CHAR(13),""),CHAR(10),""). This removes char(13) and char(10) which often are the source of the problem.

I would first suggest you to create a new profile and see if this works. To create a profile,

1. Go to Start - Run - type "control panel" and then press ENTER.
    2. Click on Mail to open the Mail Setup dialog box.
    3. Click on Show Profiles.
    5. Go to the General tab, click Prompt for a profile to be used, and then click Add.
    6. Enter the name that you want to use for the new email profile, and then click OK.
    7. Click Add a new e-mail account, and then click Next.
    8. Choose the appropriate server type for your new email account, and then click Next.
    9. Provide your account information in the required boxes, and then click Next.
    10. Click Finish, and then click OK.

I would suggest to uninstall your Outlook 2010 beta completely and remove all of its traces from your computer and then reinstall it once again. Here is how you should uninstall it.

1. Download and install Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...Fixit50450.msi

2. Go to Start - All Programs - Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Select Microsoft Office 2010 from the list and then click Remove. Exit the Utility.

4. Close all applications.

5. Go to “Start”, type "regedit" in the Search box and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this registry subkey and click Delete.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the "C:\Program Files" folder. Rename all the folders with name "Microsoft Office", "OfficeUpdate" and "OfficeUpdate14" to something else.

9. Go to “Start”, type "%Temp%" in the Search box and press Enter.

10. Delete all the files and folder from this folder.

11. Delete all the files and folder from the Recycle Bin.

12. Reboot your computer.

Now you ca try to install the Office 2010 program once again.