Thread: Microsoft Office 2010 opens configuration procedure when starting any office application

Microsoft Office 2010 opens configuration procedure when starting any office application

I have just upgraded my Microsoft Office 2007 to Microsoft Office Plus 2010. I am running Windows 7 operating system on my pc. I am getting the message as "Please wait while windows configures microsoft office....." each time whenever i am starting any Office Application. While opening an Excel, It shows me an error as " One of your object libraries(I) is missing or damaged. Please run Setup to install it". And when i try to open the any office files then it asks me which program to use for opening the file. Can't it open the word file directly in the Word?

Re: Microsoft Office 2010 opens configuration procedure when starting any office application

I guess this seems to be the problem with an operating system installed on your system. I suggest you to reinstalling the Windows 7 operating system on your machine which can definitely solve this problem. Though i am not so sure about the this message which you would be getting on your system when you try to open the Office files as which program to use. When you select the program from the list then you should select the checkbox to use the same program all the time. Reinstalling the windows 7 should not be showing any problems. Actually as you have upgraded your office on your windows system then it checks for the registry in order to check the compatibility of the program.

Re: Microsoft Office 2010 opens configuration procedure when starting any office application

I don't think that this is an issue with regarding the Windows operating system as your machine would be using an Office 2007 on the same operating system after which you have upgraded your office version to the 2010. I think some kind of mistake have done at the time of upgrading your office. I suggest you to remove the Microsoft Office 2010 from your system and then download the new executable file of the same. Now start installing it and then check that the same problems comes or not.

Even i am having Window 7 operating system on my laptop on which i was suffering the same troubles as those described in previous posts. But not anymore as I think I have found a solution. Actually at the time of an installation process, You should not select "Run all from My Computer" (default) but "install on first use." As it has been indicated in the name itself that the famous window configuration has again launched during the initial use of a part of the suite, but since then no problem. Now it has been one week that i am using my latest office version without any problem. I am no sure that this is the perfect solution which you might be searching for but still you should try it.

If you are facing the problem of configuration window each time when you open any office file on your newly installed Microsoft Word 2010. Actually it not so annoying for opening the single document but real problems arrives when you open many office file at the same time. I guess i have found the proper solution to get rid of this problem but i have not seen the same problem on my pc, I would like to know that it really works or not.
    1. insert the Office 2010 CD in the drive.
    2. Start MS WORD 2010
    3. Configuration window opens
    4. Close the configuration window by clicking the X in the top right.
    5. Start of another trick configuration.
    6. I think the problem have got solved, has it?
    7. Now configuration window does not gets opened all the time.

I also have this problem on a Dell desktop computer system which has Windows Vista Home Premium installed on it. Recently i have updated my Office 2007 Home & Student to the Office 2010. I have noticed the most amazing thing is that the configuration routine starts when you try to launch an Office file (Excel or Word) directly from an File Explorer but it does not launch if you are launching the program itself such as Word or Excel directly without opening a file directly. I have tried repairing this issue with an Office latest version like uninstalling / reinstalling but nothing worked for it. I have tried to search the solution about the same but found nothing on the Microsoft support site (apparently similar problems appear when it persists traces of older versions of Office that is not my case). But yeah it seems like the same problem was there with an office 2007 as well, but i never faced it. My problem started since i have upgraded my office.
    Still, I haven't tried one solution which i have got just now. So i don't mind sharing the same solution before i solve my problem. Actually there would be some problems in the windows registry itself which makes Config file running on every shortcut icon of Office Application. I suggest you to go to the command prompt by pressing the Start Key and then type cmd in the RUN search bar. Only problem is that this solution is for office 2007 so the registry path might be little different for the 2010 version but still the solution is for the same issue.
    • reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1
    • reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

smile Re: Microsoft Office 2010 opens configuration procedure when starting any office application

I am getting same issue. When I open an office 2010 file or start Word 2010 it drops into a configuration script as if it has never been used before! Every time!
    Using Win 7 Professional with Office Home and Business 2010.
    When I installed the 2010 version I was offered the choice to keep 2007 version installed.
    I chose to keep it primarily because I wanted to make sure that the 2010 product was robust and that the developers hadn’t removed some of the useful functions from 2007. I also prefer 2007 for much of work, but some clients insist on 2010
    Also my experience with many Microsoft Products is that quality control is abysmal and they have crashed on me in the past leaving me with days of work to re-create (MS Project mainly)
    So, in summary, how do I prevent this behaviour (re-configuring) without removing Office 2007 or reinstalling Win 7 ??
    Help Please !
    regards
    Tom in the Gong’

who just wants to use these tools to get on with driving his business, not being the running mechanic!

PS does anyone know how to get specific support from Microsoft themselves to fix a product which is not fit for purpose. I am not talking about social forums which are full of kind people but are to “hit and miss” for me.

Hi Guys, I am a new member of this forum. I am experiencing the same problem (Office configures itslef anytime I start Excel or Access). I upgraded my Office 2007 to Office 2010 and the problem happened. I have tried almost all the solutions I have found on the web forums, but the problem is still here.
    Actually, at the beginning, all the Office 2010 application had the same problem, but, after deep deleting on to the registry all the office 2007 keys and after unistalling and re-installing many time Office 2010, the problem is still here just on Excle and Access.
    My laptop run Windows 7 professional.

Does anyone know an ultimate fix to this problem?

Thanks

Jacopo

I have had the issue with Microsoft Office 2007 when I was using it on Windows XP. In your case let me tell you that it will be great if you can carry out a non-destructive repair or can try to make a reinstallation of Windows 7. After you are done with this then you can try to install Microsoft Office 2010 on your system. I am sure that this will solve the issue that you are having here. In addition to this if you want you can go to this site and see if you can get some sort of assistance here: Manually uninstall Office 2007. See if this can help.