Thread: Require a file manager which uses a file tagging paradigm

Require a file manager which uses a file tagging paradigm

Hi,
    I looking to replace my file manager. I am requiring a file manager which will make the use of a file tagging paradigm i.e. For all the files and not just for the media files. I do not want the file manager which uses a folder paradigm. I want to ask a question to you that does this kind of file manager exist or not? Please provide me the appropriate help. Thanks.

Re: Require a file manager which uses a file tagging paradigm

Even i want to do the same thing. I want to ask that whether such file manager exist or not? If yes then please suggest it and if no, then please provide me the method to create it. I know one thing about that we can create it, but which is the suitable language for creating it? I am in need of help. Please help me out as early as you can.

I think that the Tracker seems to provide seems to provide the functionality for which you are looking. But it also searches full text and file monitoring. I feel that if you are going to create something, then you must try to leverage an existing application. You must write an extension for the file manager. By doing this things you will be getting lot of the functionality. Hope have helped you a bit.

Thanks to the one who has provided the reply. I think i have got the solution for that, because i have a lot of trackers with me. I do not have any problem if the daemon is running as long as it is not a resource hog. But one thing i will like to have is file tagging. I do not have much idea about the Nautilus or Thunar. I want to ask you that are such extensions typically written in C++? Please give me the reply.

I am to looking to have this functionality. I want to create such file manager. I require a ready made code for that. I have a bit knowledge bout the coding pert, but i require your help on this. If you will provide me the code, then i can manage slight manipulations in it. I can put my efforts to understand the code. So i just require the code for that.

Take a look at this new project Reggata. It's opensource and cross-platform. It offers functionality like "delicious for files".

Quote Originally Posted by vlkv View Post
    Take a look at this new project Reggata. It's opensource and cross-platform. It offers functionality like "delicious for files".
    Sorry, I should give you a link. Reggata is located here

This morning I've made Reggata binary packages (yet it was only in source code form). Binary packages do not require any installation, just download, unpack and execute (I hope this would work not only on my machine...).
    Last edited by Maqbool; 30-12-2010 at 02:56 AM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockodoo View Post
    Hi,
    I looking to replace my file manager. I am requiring a file manager which will make the use of a file tagging paradigm i.e. For all the files and not just for the media files. I do not want the file manager which uses a folder paradigm. I want to ask a question to you that does this kind of file manager exist or not? Please provide me the appropriate help. Thanks.
    Hi,
    I have been using a file manager called XYplorer and recently it added the tagging feature you are asking above. The file manager is extremely fast in finding files and with the tagging feature it is even faster.

Note:Its not a free software, but you can test run it for 30 days and if you are not happy you can leave.

PS: I am not here to advertise, i am a loyal user of this software and just makes me happy to share this information because this manager has unique features.