Thread: Standardize image files

Standardize image files

I have a lot of pictures with me. I would like to standardize the format and size of image files, so that they have a uniform format for viewing on screen, or print and something similar. I was thinking of either 16:9 and then 3840x2160 in .PNG, or 3:2 with resolution of 3840x2560 .

16:9 to be able to easily display on an HDTV, 3:2 to have a standard good old fashioned photo format. PNG not to impair the quality further and to have the ability to cut/crop in the "full" quality. The images are "unfortunately" JPG now, so I will not save again in JPG again.

Do you have any suggestions on this?

Re: Standardize image files

Are you going to display it on HDTV? I'd make some in the native resolution of HDTV - done in the correct resolution, whether cropped to 16:9 or pillarboxed . Thus 16:9 1920x1080 or 3:2 1620x1080; if your HDTV supports 1920x1080.

If I were you, however, I would have simply layered the images with the crop that gives the picture the best results. But when you shall see them on your HDTV - resize them to fit and sharp in the correct resolution. So they look much better!

I can understand that it may be useful to format images in formats that are adapted to display media, but I would never save the original images that way.

I see the benefits of storing the original images in file formats other than jpg, and in that way, png will be a good choice. In my experience, however, the biggest risk of "destroy" the original images associated with clicking on "save" when you have edited/reformatted image there. This issue is not resolved by modifying the file format.

Otherwise, after what I have understood the horizontal resolution of HDTV is not larger than approx. 1980 px. Images in a larger size must be reformatted to fit on the screen.

Reformatting with high quality standards be made, in my experience the best in a dedicated photo editor. Accordingly, it has no intention to create images for HDTV in a larger format than approx. 1920 x 1080. I have no other experience of viewing images on an HDTV and therefore has no experience about the quality of reformatting.

- Do not touch original files
    - Prune out of the subject, of copies
    - Create custom files for print and display on screen.

It is such a strategy program like Adobe Lightroom is optimized for. It never touches original files and export feature makes it easy to produce versions customized for different purposes.

Thanks for your input. Ok I have decided to keep the original files, but will still have a copy that is cropped. That's why I thought I'd try to find a standard format and a standard size to have a holistic look at the pictures. If I find a piece that is better than my standard, I have no problems using it for that picture alone. Also, I have made it a habit to always use the Save as.