Thread: How to get distance (hops) between NUMA nodes?

How to get distance (hops) between NUMA nodes?

I am having an issue with the memory allocator which i am trying to optimize for the NUMA architecture. Whenever i am making the same it always takes the memory from the node where the current thread resides. I wanted to make the same working with the nearest and farthest thread but unable to make the same. So if any one is having the solution for same then let me know about it. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to get distance (hops) between NUMA nodes?

I will advise you to go with the QuickThread threading environment which is having the OpenMP, Windows thread, TBB and many more tools that perform the allocation of memory easily. It also allow you to work with the task scheduling which other threading method does not allow. So go through the same and see whether it is working for you or not.

First let me know which operating system you are running on. If you are running with the Linux operating system then i will advise you to go with the "numa_distance() function from libnuma" which will help you to set the distance that you are looking for. If you are using the Windows then let me tell you that i am not aware of the same.

First of all thanks for the hep that is given regarding the issue of mine and i have gone through the same but it is not working for me as i am not the user of the Linux operating system. I am running the same on the Windows Operating system. So if any one know about the same for the Windows then let me know the same.

If you are running the Windows operating system then also you can make the distance between the NUMA node with the help of the numa_distance() for Windows using CPUID. This will allow you for the creation of the NUMA nodes. So go through the same and see whether it is working for you or not.

OK for now i have come to know that if i wanted to use the Numa node distance then i can use the numa_distance() for Windows using CPUID which will allow me the same but the problem is still same as i am not aware that how to take distance from CPUID? So if possible then help me with the same so that i can perform the Distance Numa Node.

Although the GlobalAlloc, LocalAlloc, and HeapAlloc functions ultimately allocate memory from the same heap, each provides a slightly different set of functionality. For example, HeapAlloc can be instructed to raise an exception if memory could not be allocated, a capability not available with LocalAlloc. LocalAlloc supports allocation of handles which permit the underlying memory to be moved by a reallocation without changing the handle value, a capability not available with HeapAlloc. For more visit microsoft

I think i am having the solution for the same which you are looking for. I have searched regarding your issue and come to know that you can get the Distance in the System Locality Information Table which is the extension provided by the OEMS. So if you can then go through System Locality Information Table and see whether it is working with the issue or not.