Thread: How to use Time Machine with an AirPort Extreme

How to use Time Machine with an AirPort Extreme

Hello,
    Is it possible to use Time Machine with a hard drive connected to Airport Extreme Point? And if so, this disc can be used for multiple machines? (Provided of course the partition) I have the hardware with me, but the point is that I do not know how to use it. So, if you guys know how to do this then please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Re: How to use Time Machine with an AirPort Extreme

Apparently, yes for several machines (this was on the apple's news site)
    Back Up the Whole Family :
    The moment you choose a Time Machine drive, a single folder IS created on the drive. Inside this folder For Each subfolder Is a Mac Being backed up. (Yes, multiple Mac systems can share the Same backup drive. And Within EACH subfolder Is Another list of folders - one for Every backup Performed On That Mac. Time Machine uses a standard file system to store all of Its information. Nothing hidden anywhere.

You can just use about Designate "any HFS + formatted FireWire or USB drive connected to a Mac as a Time Machine backup drive. Also Time Machine can back up to Another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices. Personally I wanted to know if you can run time machine on a separate partition. It annoys me to have to walk me to my external drive all the time with my macbook pro.

I think we can not parametrize the frequency of registration, it is active and it saves everything TM alone, it will not occupy or it is deactivated and TM backup "manually" by right click on TM in the dock> Backup Now. That's all, no other options, unless Apple has integrated it into the finals, which can not be done, though I am not sure of this.

Knowing that TimeMachine starts with a copy of the contents of your SD, it will be hot to hold on 250GB to 100GB. I am part on an assumption that we must double up in TimeMachine disk than the base (we must rely on a ratio x1, 5 less than if you manipulate files). Any more discussion on this is appreciated. Thank you.

It requires a different partition of the partition you want to save as an external drive or a second internal partition. But we can not save its data on the same partition where they are stored. I do not see why it takes more space on TM as SD. Because it saves after a while removing the oldest, I have a 80GB SD on my MB, and I have 100GB in forecasting time machine that will replace my backup CopyCarbonCloner.

Time Machine will backup everything or only what is asked? I personally do not care to safeguard the OS since I disk. So it's been under 10 gigabytes. After you do not believe that TM will compress the data?

You have more space on the backup drive, the more you can keep old versions of your files. At least I hope. In my case, TM does not replace unlikely CCC (or SuperDuper, in my case, ), It is older. I understand it but I just wanted to know if the partition or drive dedicated to TM even when it can add files manually?

Types of disks Time Machine can use (no AirPort Disks) Per Apple Knowledge base article, Time Machine can backup to various Mac OS Extended-formatted drives, drank it Does not support AirPort Extreme's AirPort Disk feature. It can, howeve, back up to Another Mac-running Personal File Sharing Leopard with, or to a Leopard server volume, or year Xsan storage device.