Thread: VLC not play asx and m3u files

VLC not play asx and m3u files

I have been using the VLC media player from the the last 8 months, And it is being working fine with no problem, This is the best one for playing all the video file i use to believe till today but today when i tried to open an asx file and the m3u file i dint responded up to its standards and the file was not open as said. And the error message came saying that Unable to open the file.

Re: VLC not play asx and m3u files

Basically the .m3u files are just the text files, which are used to list the MP3 files or the other type of media files, So don not try open such types file because it will not open such files rather it will give you error messages. Do always remember that these m3u files are always used to keep records or to list the other media files.

I have gone through your problem and it seems to me that you are trying to open a wrong file or the file with wrong extension , Because it is not possible to open m3u file since it is just a text file which contains only text and no media related content . M3u file is the simple text file that stores the location of one or more media files that the media player going to play.

This problem is faced by lots of VLC users , They are not able top play asx files, But after viewing your problem i just checked an asx file whether it runs with my VLC player or not but it did ran and was with a good sound quality, I don't know what is wrong with your VLC just check the settings and re correct it if there are any mistakes, Or totally remove the VLC that you are currently using and then Install the new one so that it works fine.

There is something wrong in the settings of your vlc player just go in to the tools section of the VLC player and just enter in the Settings and check whether the settings are proper or not. If not then you have to reset it to view the asx files do it in such a way that system will allow to read those files or else you have to reinstall the new VLC player.

First of all I would like to tell inform you that asx files are not any kind of media files it is just acts as a shortcut which will inform your computer to stream the actual audio or video file. So keep in mind that whenever you are trying to open a particular file the other file which is linked to it Must be present so that it can locate it .

This is just a common thing that you are not aware that what the asx and m3u files are , They are just the source locator to the other media files which helps media player to locate the particular media file and then play it . Make sure that whenever you are trying to open such files you have to check whether the original file is present or not.

Thank you all of you who have replied to me, now I actually came to know that what these asx and m3u files are and how to deal with them. But the problem still persist and I am not able to read the files even though the media file is present . Please help me i am a bit worried again will it do if I reinstall the VLC .

Now still if you are not able to read the file than you have to one thing that just uninstall the old VLC which you are having and again install the newer one with best quality and latest features . I hope so that this one will sort your problem. If yet you are getting the same problem than try and do just one thing hard reset your computer.