Thread: Norton Ghost 15 Symsnap.sys causes blue screen

Norton Ghost 15 Symsnap.sys causes blue screen

I am running Norton Ghost 15 and i am running an external drive on this computer. Now i am having a blue screen because of the symsnap.sys. Error code is 0x0000008E. I have tried it without an external drive and there was nothing wrong. Another small USB driver also works. After blue screen of crashing, NIS2010 does not loads up in the next bootup and ccSvcHst stops responding. This issue is not there when my computer does not have Ghost. My computer is Dell XPS410 with the Windows Xp operating system.

Re: Norton Ghost 15 Symsnap.sys causes blue screen

Problem seems to be with the supportive file of Norton Ghost. I think you try reinstalling the software again on your laptop and then check that the same problem arrives again or not. Once thing you have to check that you are not getting any kind of error while installing it as it might happen that the Symsnap.sys shows some problem.

A hunt on symsnap.sys shows that this is a Symantec file. The single Symantec program. I am running the Norton Ghost Version 14. I do have any programs such as Norton Ghost/Agent/VProTray.exe in the startup which might gets executed before Avast Internet Security. As I have took the Norton agent away from the Startup menu, I will eliminate it from the startup sequence as well which may shows some incompatibility issue.

This problem could be the result of some conflict of the Norton with some third party application. I guess it could be some other security application which might be running on your windows system. I have seen many users screaming about the same problem as Norton conflicts with an Avast security. I suggest you to check about the same it might happen that software other then avast can also show similar problem.

I have solved out this issue as i have faced the accurately same problem on my laptop which has Windows Vista running on it. I guess you guys should disable all the online backup program from your system which causes this problem. After disabling an online backup, You must check about the same problem. I am sure that there wont be any such problem.

According to me you have another option which includes Scheduling your online backups software in a way so that they does not overlap with the Ghost backups. The cause for the blunder is that Norton Ghost uses VSS as that of another software, It was Mozy in my case. Actually Mozy was sending an interfering VSS call and ultimately resulting into the Blue Screen of Death.