Thread: Hiding my WPA security key in Windows 7

Hiding my WPA security key in Windows 7

I am having windows 7 installed in my laptop. I did not see any simple way to go about hiding this key. I realize that you have to be an admin of PC to get the security tab. I know there are way to get your key but the common man does not how to do it with windows 7. Tell me if there any simple solution to hide this security key.

Re: Hiding my WPA security key in Windows 7

It is not possible to store wireless key from a local administrator. If you are concerned to share it with unauthorized users. One thing you can do is you can whitelist MAC adds on router. After this even if the person is having the valid key and try to connect will be unable. He can connect only if he is going through whitelisted MAC address. But in your case if you have two methods of authentications then it will be better. Best of luck

I do not want the user to know the code. Local admin in windows 7 can check the box. In my office I am having 500 system and among them 400 were laptop which need to be connected wireless. All of them do not have local admin rights. We have some portion of MAC address in the environment so we were not able to use PEAP for those. I think IAS is the RADIUS server included with all copies of windows server.

is hard even to imagine that where a trusted user is authorized to use wireless network but was not able to see the key used to connect. Another way to overcome it rather than using to MAC address whitelisting you can use captive proxy scheme to have list of user who logged in. This type is used with "hotspots" like restaurant that need to be accessible to the authorized user and not the general users.