Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Skype with Video uses 80% of CPU

Windows Software

Old 08-09-2010

Skype with Video uses 80% of CPU

While using Skype has any one ever seen this message that Skype is using 80% of the CPU. When I was talking with my friend, I heard the fans speeding up. I can not understand what was going on. I ran the Activity Monitor, while running it gave the message, that "Skype is using 80% of the CPU". I do not have any idea regarding this. I have T9600 CPU at 2.8Ghz. Can you all help? I will be very much thankful to you.

Old 08-09-2010

Re: Skype with Video uses 80% of CPU

It is really interesting to see this post. I have never seen saying anyone like this before about Skype. I have heard that Skype uses the resources on CPU but not to thee extent that you have mentioned. I have Mac Book Pro with Skype installed, I was doing a video chat with my sister in London for about an hour. My Mac Book Pro just got warmed up a little. Are you using 9600 GPU? Do post.
Old 08-09-2010

No, I am not using 9600 GPU, but 9400m. I was using a fan control program for the controlling of the fan. It was doing its work quite nicely. I just made the changes in the settings so that it can work properly. What is making me more worried is the statement Skype is using 80% of the CPU, it i really high on Skype account. I do not know if my little INTEL N270 1.6Ghz in my Netbook, will be able to survive. God helps, or if you all can then please.
Old 08-09-2010

I think the issue is not with Skype. The real culprit for this situation is Mac. The reason I am saying this and with much confidence is because, I recently ran Skype on my Windows machine and it runs much cooler. On Mac, it uses up lot of system resources, and that may be causing the trouble. I am not sure, but, it may be because of the poorly optimized port to OS X, as many things tend to be.
Old 08-09-2010

I do not have any problem with Skype. I am running it on my notebook as well as Windows machine and no complaints at all. I think that the version that you all are using is of older version. Why don't you all go for the newer version. If at all you all are having problem with the Skype, you can go for iChat. iChat runs at 40-50 percent of CPU. You can choose whichever option you like.
Old 31-12-2010

is there any solution to fix this problem?
i have same problem from last 6 - 7 months and don't know how to fix it.
i have HP mobile workstation laptop with 4GB ram, 2.4 GHz core 2 Duo, win 7 ultimate.....
Old 31-12-2010

Which version of Skype you are using. I am having the same problem with the device of mine and come to know that this is the problem with the Skype version 5 which is having some bug that is not working with the Windows. So i have removed the same and installed the previous version and issue got resolved. So if you can then also go through the same and see whether this is working for you or not. For detail visit below given link.
Skype bug over Windows
Old 03-01-2011

i have tried all version from Skype 4.2.0.187 till now.... and have same issue...
do you want me to rollback to old version than Skype 4.2.0.187??????
Old 04-01-2011

Are you too with MAC ? As i saw above posts, they had mentioned that there is problem with MAC and Skype. Secondly, rather than going to previous versions, i suggest you to go for the very latest version of skype. Coz, if this is the problem with many users than offcourse, skype team may have fixed it yet.
Old 04-01-2011

Hello, I think you can submit a bug report in our issue tracking system? Instructions are here - https://developer.skype.com/SkypeGarage/ReportIssue
Please make sure you attach log files (if possible, from both sides of the video call), this is the only way that our developers can investigate further.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , , , ,