Thread: Cannot align objects in a drawing canvas in office 2010

Cannot align objects in a drawing canvas in office 2010

I am using Office 2010 in the windows 7 for a month, i have a number of clip-art object in a drawing canvas and now i want to align them with each other and also within the canvas. The alignments options are all grayed up when i try to align it to "align to page" or "align to canvas" is selected. This happens in both the operating system weather i am using the Windows 7 or the Windows Vista. Please provide me with a solution that Will resolve my issue.

Re: Cannot align objects in a drawing canvas in office 2010

As you have mentioned your problem above there are two option available for it that are the first one is the align commands under the pictures tools, format ribbon only work when you have selected a particular pictures. The other solution is that you have to align the commands under the drawing tools and they are available when the canvas is selected and most of them are grayed out because they do not apply to a canvas.

I have researched a lot on your issue and also contacted to the Microsoft expert team. They have told me that the problem of grayed out of the alignment can not be solved. They have added your issue in the list called as "things that don't work in 2010", further if there's any other problem please let me known i will be happy to resolve your issue.

There are very little chances that drawing canvas alignment will work properly in the office 2010. In the meanwhile, note that you don't have to place the objects inside a drawing canvas; you can place the objects directly and then use the alignment option. The align option works correctly outside of a drawing canvas in Word 2010

I have followed both steps that where provided by you but they have help a little bit to me, i am still not able to align my clip arts objects on the canvas. please give an accurate solution for that i will be very grateful to you for these answer as it is very important for me at these moment, and tell me any other website that provide these solution.

As i have already mentioned that there are only two options available for these issue and i already mentioned it above. If then you want to go for advanced canvas drawing then you have to contact the costumer care assistance of Microsoft, but i thing there is no alignment for the canvas drawing in office 2010. So, beside this there is no other solution if you are not satisfied with office then go for an alternate which has the canvas drawing for the clip arts.

Yes everything is good by drawing outside the canvas but there is one problem which is very very annoying especially if you creating diagrams with many objects. The user is not able to drag select objects. We have to select each one at a time. Can you imagine how frustrating is that if you have a 50 or more objects????

You can group them for that. I had faced this problem and was really annoyed. But there is a feature which you can find in Photoshop also. What you have to do is, press ctrl and then keep clicking on objects. All will be selected at once. Then right click on any and right click. Click on grouping > group. All the adjacent object will be converted into single and when you drag them everything will be dragged. Try this once.

Yes, that is an obvious solution. What I was mentioning is that is not convenient at all to select object by object .. but I guess grouping is the only option. The other option is to you Visio!!

I have written some tiny code to avoid this issue.
    With this code you can align items on the canvas.
    I hope this will be some help for someone.