Thread: Word template problem

Word template problem

I have Office 2003 installed on my computer. I am trying to open Word template from another Word document. I can see the documents opening from the template hyperlink but the problem is that the template is having its own name when opening. Instead I want the name should be the default name given by Microsoft Word. Can anyone help me in this?

Re: Word template problem

This happens because you are modifying your existing template. By design, when you make any changes in any template it affects, henceforth, all the new documents that you will make using this template. So if you don't want the changes to affect new documents then you should use Save As option.

I think you didn't understand what you said. I will make it simple. I create a document and save it with .dot extension. Now if you try to open this file, it has a name as Document 1. Now try to create a Template in the same document and add this as a hyperlink on another document. When you click on the link to open the template, it will have name other than Document 1. Even if you make any changes to this, it will just update it instead of giving Save As option.

Go to My Computer. Click on Tools menu, Folder Options, View Tab, Advanced Settings and then select the “Show hidden files and folders” check box. Click OK. Now open C:/Documents and Settings/User name/Application Data/Microsoft/Templates folder. Look for a file with .dot file and delete it.

If you want that no changes should be done on an existing file then its better to make it Read-Only. All you need to do is change it from the file properties to read-only. Simply right click, if it is a single file, on the file and select Properties. In General tab, tick the Read-Only check box and click on Apply. Now click on OK.