Thread: Custom start menu acting weird

Custom start menu acting weird

Here, in a terminal service environment we possess 2*2008 standard servers, there in group policy we applied folder redirection for the start menu. Now there's a problem with the start menu that we have come across . Some shortcuts do not work initially, but start's working after some times. The shortcuts that are facing this problems are present under the Start Menu Folder. Has anyone ever come across this before?

Re: Custom start menu acting weird

No, I do not think that anyone would have ever come across with this situation. It is the first time I have also come across such situation. Please include some more detail about the folder redirection so, that here, on this forum, we can help you on this situation. If we have some more information we can also take a test based on your situation. I am waiting for your reply.

As I mentioned before, the folder redirection on 2008 server was set in the group policy. For the folder redirection, I set up the following in the Start Menu. I set the path as \\server\startmenu$. Then, I, disabled "Grant user exclusive rights to Start Menu", then disabled "Move the contents of Start Menu to the new location" and then apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems, finally disabled "Policy Removal Behavior Leave contents".

Thanks Tamohar, for giving the details in the reply above. Looking at the description I think you should try to logon the server that is causing the problem. The logon of the server can be done locally with the terminal account. After that please try to check if the same issue persists on the local logon.

From the details above, I can conclude that there is some issue in the network. There might be a network delay whenever an attempt is made to access the redirected Start Menu. You can try to manually access "\\server\stsrtmenu$" when the start menu fails to work. What is the result that you get after trying it? Let me know about it soon.

Hello every one there, I am also experiencing the same problem. The only difference is that I am not having two 2008 servers but three. I also redirected the Start Menu. The icons when clicked delays to start, it takes about 5 to 10 minutes, which is probably too long to response. The server is not only Remote Application but also Remote Desktop Server. If any one finds the answer for this new Situation in this thread please let me know.