Thread: Windows Explorer Displays Redirected Folders as a Different Name

Windows Explorer Displays Redirected Folders as a Different Name

My issue is redirect my folder " My Documents "on D. On Windows XP , I always redirected to the directory "My Documents " on the D drive. On Vista Home Premium, I can not ! handling is different? I will go to right click properties / Target / Edit location, but not succeed. Please help. Thank you.

Re: Windows Explorer Displays Redirected Folders as a Different Name

In Vista you can put all these directories in different locations . By default Vista up My Documents , My Pictures, My Music , ... just below the name of the bunch of users .
    Example :
    F : \ Users \ yourname
    F: \ Users \ yourname \ Documents
    F: \ Users \ yourname \ My Music
    F : \ Users \ yourname \ My Pictures
    D: \ users \ yourname \ Videos ( on another disk).

Folder Redirection Group Policy is a device that allows you to redirect the system folders containing the profile of a user on the network by using the Folder Redirection node in the Object Editor policy console . This basically makes the folder redirection of a user configuration option . By using the Folder Redirection feature , you can configure the contents of system folders on the user remains the same regardless of the particular user 's computer uses to connect to the system.

Folder redirection settings are stored in the User Configuration node in the Object Editor policy . The Offline Files feature can be configured to allow users to access redirected folders when no network connection exists. You can use the node offline files in Group Policy to configure this feature.

Folder redirection has the advantages listed below:
    * Redirecting the My Documents folder ensures that users can access their data from any computer . This applies to all other files and redirected .
    * Because redirected folder data is stored on a network server , you can save the data on a storage medium offline.
    * You can use the disk quotas to specify the amount of space that the redirected folders for each user are allowed to use .

The situations where you need to enable folder redirection for different types of system folders are summarized below:
    * Redirecting the My Documents folder when you want a user to access the same documents from any computer on the network.
    * Redirect the Application Data folder where applications should work the same way for a user when the user uses a new system. When the Application Data folder is redirected , the user does not need to be set again when changes systems .