Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Group Policy to remove Hibernate and Sleep from the start menu

Windows Software

Old 21-08-2010

Group Policy to remove Hibernate and Sleep from the start menu

Hi guys ! I have been searching for the past week to properly make disable the hibernate and sleep buttons element from the start menu for my users. I am working with the Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 running clients. From what I have been getting , it was the problem associated with the server 2003 too. It is sure that there is an easy group policy somewhere for this in 08R2 ? Any suggestion would be appreciated !

Old 21-08-2010

Re: Group Policy to remove Hibernate and Sleep from the start menu

The below suggested, two ways of Group Policy are for your reference:

1.For startup scripts, please go through the following things :

To save the registry below as power.reg file :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings\abfc2519-3608-4c2a-94ea-171b0ed546ab]
"ACSettingIndex"=dword:00000000

And then save the .bat defined as follows as a startup scripts

Quote:
regedit /C /S power.reg
powercfg -h off
There is another way as GUI method and you also can go for that ...
Old 21-08-2010

According to me, you are looking for this configuration :

You have to just configure the default action of the power button on the Start menu. If you are able to activate this configuration, the Start Menu will configure up the power button to the selection action, and not allow the user configire this activities.

If you configure up the button to either Sleep or Hibernate, and that state is not compatiblew with the system, then the button will fall back to Shut Down.

If you will make it disable or do not reset this configurtation , the Start Menu power button will be configured with the Shut Down automatically and the user can configurt this setting for different action."

It's found here: User configuration => policies => Administrative templates... -> Start menu and taskbar: "Change start menu power button".
Old 21-08-2010

For making disable the sleep selection onto the start menu:
You have to generate the registry key following if it does not already in the same location: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings\abfc2519-3608-4c2a-94ea-171b0ed546ab

Generate the Dword "ACSettingIndex" and configure the value with the 0

For making disable the hibernation action, you have to do the following :

Quote:
At an elevated cmd prompt type - "powercfg -h off"
Old 21-08-2010

The following stated policy which I had already got and configure to Logoff. So that is not feasible to solve my problems.

User configuration => policies => administrative templates... => start menu and taskbar: "Change start menu power button".

After all, the following policy it assumes as you are able to only redirect the physical sleep buttons on the desktop/laptop to 'take no action'. This policy doesn't have influence upon the configuration of start menu.
=>computer configuration => policies=> administrative templates... => system => power management => button setting...
Old 29-08-2010

It only seems to feasible for us when an administrative user enter into the system to make some advance changes , even though the preferences are configured within the computer configuration. The following is logged in the event log when a some non- admin user logs in

"The user shutdown preference components group policy object did not implemented because it got failed with the error code 0x80070005 Access is denied" .. Any suggestions would be great for me...

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,