Thread: Which version of Linux is installed in my Notebook?

Which version of Linux is installed in my Notebook?

I have gone through the Internet and come to know that there is lots of the version of the Linux is available. With the same info i wanted to know that which version of the Linux is installed into the notebook of mine. So that i can upgrade to the new version if possible. So if any one is having knowledge regarding the same then please let me know the same. Thank you.

Re: Which version of Linux is installed in my Notebook?

To know about the Linux version running on the system of yours you have to check for the cat /proc/version == where you can come to know about the Linux version that is installed into the system of yours. Go to the defined location and you will come to know about the version that is used by the notebook of yours,

You can also check the version of the Linux from the terminal also. For that all you have to do is you to type the "$ cat /etc/redhat-release" command into the terminal and this will display you the version of the Linux which you are using. So go through the same and see whether you are getting it right or not.

Thanks a lot for the response that you have given me regarding the issue of mine. I have gone through the same and let me tell you tat i now successfully know about the version of the Linux installed into the system of mine. But having one more query i wanted to know which is the best Linux version for the old notebook as my device is old and having low configuration.

Linux is the operating system which can be run on the lower configuration of the system also as it requires only 500 MB space for the installation. But if you wanted to know about the particular version then i will advise you to go through the below given link and find the suitable one.
    Which is a best linux version for slow PC

I am having the same problem like finding the Linux version into the device of mine. I have searched a lot and finally come to know about the same with the help of the post on this forum. Just go through the same and see whether it is working for you or not.
    How to check Linux version

As you are looking to install he Linux into the system then let me tell you to check the official site of the RedHat and find the one which is suitable to the environment of the Notebook that you are using. RedHat is the best one Linux operating system which i like to user. Just visit the below link for more info.
    RedHat Linux