Thread: Migrating from Adm to Admx on Windows 7 or Windows XP network

Migrating from Adm to Admx on Windows 7 or Windows XP network

I have 3 systems in which in two I am going t upgrade Windows 7 and the one will stay on Windows PX. Now on those I am going to install Microsoft Office 2007. I am here confused about the Group Policy adm/admx files. It is recommended to put adm templates in the GPO If I want to keep the admx files in the central part of the domain sysvol. But this settings might not work on Windows XP. Also what are the advantages of ADMX.

Re: Migrating from Adm to Admx on Windows 7 or Windows XP network

It is better that for this issue you can create two policies. That might help you out. Create two policies for ADM and ADMX. In this the ADM policy will work for those system which are running on Windows XP and the other one will support Windows 7. Try to collect some articles on the same which can give you a deeper explanation on the group policy settings.

To you your ADM /ADMX files I have a tool suggestion. These are administrative templates available for Windows Vista and Longhorn Server. They are based on a dynamic new format based on XML. Here is a small tool has just been published on the Microsoft site to migrate between the two formats very easily. It is called as ADMX Migrator and this will make your work easy.

I had use the same tool ADMX Migrator while setting my systems. Here are the 3 main tasks that can perform by ADMX Migrator. The first is that it can can quickly migrate ADM files to ADMX. It is possible to modify new templates freshly migrated and it is also possible to create new ADMX templates as per your need and support you required on the system.

The ADMX format is the new administration model introduced in Windows XP and Vista. Their advantages are numerous: they are easy to set up, lighter, centralized in one place and updated on all the posts immediately. You might need to get some good resources support on the same. Try out the official site for troubleshooting option.

The new Policy Management Console provides integrated the possibility of replacing the old ADM files with new ADMX files. To understand their interest, it is already necessary to recall that the ADM files were placed in the Model of Group Policy of the GPO, the same that is in the SYSVOL. You should know that by using this old standard, 4MegaOctets are used on each domain controller each time a GPO is created.

In addition, the ADM file is placed in the Group Policy Template (GPT or) of the GPO as it is necessary to have available when you want to edit the GPO on another station. Without him, it is not possible to change the settings that are in the GPO. With the ADMX format, it is more useful to record anything in the GPO. This has the advantage of no longer override the SYSVOL folder as was the case previously.