Thread: Consensus on Defragmentation?

Consensus on Defragmentation?

I recently heard about disk defragmentation and now I really want to know more about it. Is it necessary to defragment the disk? Are there any advantages of doing so? Also let me know if there are any official guidelines to do defragmentation? I have heard that after defragmentation some utilities also work well but at the same time when I was looking the Diskeeper product for Windows Home Server it came out with very little positive points. Please help me out!
    Last edited by Tamohar; 17-08-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Re: Consensus on Defragmentation?

No, do not use the Defrag utility on your Windows Home Server disk drives. The fact is that defragmentation hardly affects the primary data partition, because the size of the majority of files are 4kb. Issue may arise when the Defrag utility is used with Volume Shadow Copy service that always run in 12 hrs. For you I have only this much help and one point that I would share is Defrag utility is based on Diskeeper so better be careful with it.

If you want to know how to defragment your local drives you can follow the steps below and then try it and let me know if you are benefited from it or it went the other way round. You can try by using the properties of local Hard Disk. First open My Computer and then select whichever local disk you want to defragment. Then check for the properties by making a Right-Click. There you will find a Tools tab in that click on "Defragment Now" and then finally click "Defragment". Your defragmentation will start.

There's an another way you can defragment you local disk. you can try using
    Disk Defragmenter MMC. Go to your Run and type "dfrg.msc" this is done in order to start the Disk Defragmenter MMC.After this is done select the local volume you want to defragment, and then click Defragment. But there are some limitations that you should take care while you defragment the drives
    * It can defragment only local volumes.
    * It can defragment only one volume at a time.
    * It cannot defragment one volume while it is scanning another.

I just checked the question asked by Tamohar and, I went with all the replies but, now I would like to add more content to the Tamohar's query. I am using Windows 7 and would like to know that if the native "Disk Defrag" holds good enough or I should search for something else? I would also like to tell you that I am a new user for Windows 7 and I am sure that there are going to be some difference between it and Vista.

I think that the native defrag would run perfect and it would be fine for you. I would also like to tell, that there are hardly any difference between Windows 7 and Vista for the problem you are looking for. If you are not satisfied with native defrag you can also give a try for Defraggler to defragment your local hard drives. I would also give you another option which was suggested by my friend, use PerfectDisk 10 Professional, he said that it is rather mare reliable and robust.
    Last edited by Orion lella; 17-08-2010 at 11:44 PM.