Thread: Lost ability to right click multiple files and choose 'open with'

Lost ability to right click multiple files and choose 'open with'

I am currently working with the installed windows XP system. In the same environment , I am able to choose a bunch of mp3 files, for instance, making a right click and select the 'open with...' whatever application I needed.

From windows 7, I only able to find the option as 'open with' in the context menu on the individual files. What is the procedure to make this enable 'open with' for a selection of the files? Please suggest me regarding the same, Windows 7 has not disabled the useful behavior.

Re: Lost ability to right click multiple files and choose 'open with

Hey dude, you are going good and raised very good question here but if you are a windows 7 user then you have to be sure about the features that have been updates ...
    Actually, you have not misunderstand in this case. Microsoft wiped out this feature right now and according to me, it is not available in the Windows 7. You don't require to have concern of this . There are some facilities is not available within the Windows like movie maker or live mail. So you need not to worry about this .

You are able to change the register key to realize the function. For instance , you are using Windows media player as mp3 player , you are able to copy the below suggested content (without quote) to the notepad and store the same with the “.reg” extension.

“Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open with]
    @="open with player"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open with\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" \"%1\""
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\removeproperties]
    "ProgrammaticAccessOnly"="Apartment"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\removeproperties\DropTarget]
    "CLSID"="{09a28848-0e97-4cef-b950-cea037161155}" ”

You have to reset the bold text with the location of your current player. After configuring the key, you can make right click to select the MP3 files and then after select “open with player” to play the music.

Thank for the help and suggestion . But why would they make it disable the proper and feasible function ? For instance , in some cases, I need to open my selection of mp3s within the foobar, and on other hand , I'll need to open them up with the mp3tag . Why should I have to configure this up another registry record for what was an simple task within the Windows XP ? Why would they perform that or have I received the incorrect end of the stick ?

I am getting very weired issue and very result from the option when clicked on the control specified . When I done the Shift-right-clicking on the file, it should come up with the 'Open With' as one of the option specified within the context menu. When i am doing the same thing when i am running in Windows 7, particularly on ".war" files, it does not getting opened . Any suggestion , why it is going like this ?

Re: Lost ability to right click multiple files and choose 'open with'

I am agree with you: Windows 7 requires a file association to come up with the "Open with..." by shift-right-clicking (just checked with some files with and without file association on Windows 7 Professional - Final). I am not sure if it is any kind of bug or a feature.

Just found a appropriate tool to make some changes in the context-menu: File Menu Tools. Works properly with the Windows 7 and you can associate the entries, i.e. open with notepad or open with an different application. Maybe something for you?