Thread: Hard to create shortcuts in Users\Public\Desktop

Hard to create shortcuts in Users\Public\Desktop

I am unable to find the help document anywhere... When I opened up the location as %SystemDrive%\Users\Public\Desktop within the Windows Explorer, the right-click "Paste shortcut" command occurred the error message suggested below :

Windows can't create a shortcut here.
    Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?

In addition to the same, the "Create shortcut" menu item is not getitng allocated when I made a right-click with the New option . To insert the shortcuts within that directory as I need, I need to make the shortcuts elsewhere and copy them over, or make the shortcuts programmatically (for exampl, WshShell.CreateShortcut). Can somebody suggestion any explanatin regarding this behavior?

Re: Hard to create shortcuts in Users\Public\Desktop

The Public\Desktop directory is the destination for entire users within the Windows 7. Since anything committed within that directory affects all users on the same system, it is heavily got prevented.

You have already got the finest method to add the shortcuts placed, by making the same within directory folder and replacing them to the public desktop folder with the help of an Administrator account. The only other method to perform this is to go for the ownership of the same directory and configures the permissions. This is definitely not suggested since it reveals and opens a sure location for malicious infections. I hope this helps....

Thank you very much for the suggestion but according to me, you are getting lacked somewhere...

It is not the issue regarding the permissions -- I am working with an elevated Explorer window. As I stated, I am able to copy the shortcut files at that place (and copy and remove some other files there as well).One more thing, note that the below suggested script would be helpful as well:

var fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
    var wShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.shell");
    var AlUsrDesktop = wshShell.SpecialFolders.Item("AlUsrDesktop");
    var scutName = "Command Prompt.lnk";
    var scutPath = fso.BuildPath(alUsrDesktop, scutName);
    var wShortcut = wShell.CreateShortcut(scutPath);
    wShortcut.TargetPath = fso.BuildPath(fso.GetSpecialFolder(1), "cmd.exe");
    wShortcut.Save();

The suggested script (store the same within the notepad and name 'createCmdShortcut.js') programmatically makes the shortcut without any issues .

When I move to the Start button and choose Run then I received the below described message as "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed in the desktop instead?" As a result , I am unable to process out the normal functions from the "Run" control . I had Geeksquad from Bestbuy look at the machine for another causes a while back and they were not having any clue regarding the same .

It still unable to describe why the Windows 7 UI restriction regarding the creation of shortcuts through the direct way within the \Users\Public\Desktop. You are forced to make a shortcut in different destination , and then copy and paste the same to \Users\Public\Desktop. The suggested UI decision forces knowledgeable users to move via another steps and I am unable to find any justification related to the same.

Hi dude ,

This is just for the scenario , you are continue with the seaching option for a simple method to fix your issue. When you make disable the UAC then you will be able to access the "C:\Benutzer\Öffentlich" translated to your language. This must be located in the "C:\User\Public". This is the place where you can find the desktop directory where you are able to make the copy and remove out any shortcut you desired in this case.

I am just moving to replace the icon on the shortcut and I put within the location as users/public/desktop and I get the error: Cannot apply changes to this internet shortcut. I am moving to the properties defined for the shortcut, click on 'change icon,' and select an icon from the list entitled from the Windows . It seems as it will move on until I click onto the OK button . I also moved to go for copying the shortcut with the icon that I need from my desktop within the public desktop, but it deleted my special icon.