Thread: How to use encryption BitLocker without TPM?

How to use encryption BitLocker without TPM?

I have the version of Windows 7 and I want to use a USB drive to boot and use my computer. I want to configure BitLocker but I do not have TPM on my motherboard. I heard you could use a USB drive to store the activation key instead of the TPM. I would like to know the procedure to use BitLocker. When I go into my Control Panel heading BitLocker Drive Encryption, and I try to enable BitLocker on my C: drive (Windows 7) an error message says I must have a TPM version 1.2 or higher installed but windows can not find it (because it is not normal). How do I configure BitLocker to ensure that the key is stored on my USB drive instead of the TPM. I read the procedure on the Microsoft site but no one tells me how to do it in Windows 7.!! So I am expecting lot from you.

Re: How to use encryption BitLocker without TPM?

Click Start, type gpedit.msc in the Search box, then press Enter. If the dialog box User Account Control appears, verify that the proposed action meets your expectations and then click Continue. In the console tree Object Editor Group Policy, click Local Computer Policy, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and then double-click BitLocker Drive Encryption Drive. Then open the Drive of the operating system. Request additional authentication at startup and after doing this you will have to click on Activate. Then check: Enable BitLocker without utilization TPM. I am sure that this will certainly help you.

One of the problems facing us when we decide to implement Bitlocker is what is the likely scenario in which we can implement it and how it will be the ideal way to do it. Obviously when we decided to implement a security mechanism such as encryption to keep in mind if we need it or for what we do, if this is a conventional machine used only to support applications but do not store any data in it interest. Suppose the standard equipment of a company. These generally are used only as support for running applications, and that important company data is stored on a server well protected in the CPD (or so it should be ...) will have to be present also additional elements that could be stored on the machine for convenience we let stored, such as passwords navigation, applications masked by asterisks happy, mail, etc. What is important is this information in the hands of someone looking for information about our company, would provide the option for encryption of these discs. One of the improvements it brings Bitlocker system on machines coexist in a domain, is that the mechanisms for recovery of passwords, gain advantage of the functionality provided by Active Directory.

What about the home user? Except for some significant cases, it is evident that this method will not be used in homes, mainly because the orientation of the home such operating systems do not carry this functionality. A foreseeable although negative, is that this system could hamper items for analyzing a computer is required to determine if, since he has committed a possible crime.

The following steps are useful for configuring BitLocker without TPM in Vista :
    1. First go in Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
    2. Select the Local Computer Policy
    3. Computer Configuration
    4. After that administrative templates
    5. Windows Components
    6. Bitlocker Drive Encryption
    7. In that select the option as Security Policy.
    8. Lastly you have to select the Bitlocker without TPM Configuration.

When determining the need to implement a mechanism for encryption and decryption mechanism has to meet certain standards and criteria do not feasible:
    • Not to be a very negative impact on overall performance in reading and writing processes.
    • Must be transparent to the mechanisms of application functionality that you work with.
    • Must be robust enough to prevent attacks by attacking permutation or data manipulation and results in plain text.