Thread: Running commands like Regedit as a standard user

Running commands like Regedit as a standard user

We are currently in the process of checking and rolling out the Windows 7 Enterprise. I am getting some problems which appears to be UAC associated, but I have not any idea.

Regedit is manifested to be launched at the highestAvailable and uiaccess is false.After all, it should run as the standard user. However, when I launch this as a standard user, I received the message that the application has been restricted by the group policy. There are no such type of software Restriction Policies that can effect the system. The UAC is turned on and configured with the elevate administrators automatically, and to deny the elevation for standard users. It is already configured by the group policy. The same thing is going on with the mmc.exe.

Has someone got this type of issues ? I am not getting understand why regedit is subject to a UAC prompt as the standard user..

Re: Running commands like Regedit as a standard user

I am able to open the "regedit" properly with an standard user within the Windows 7 just not as the administrator. I am able to view and configure the values within the "Current User", but only are able to view the values within the "Local Machine" (unable to change). This is why I make sure that I am executing the regedit command as the standard user perfectly without any issues .

If you wanted to execute the command as the standard user then you have to make some changes in this and it would be accomplished by the following way. Just go through the procedure below :

1. Open up the group policy editor.
    2. Navigate the option specified as "User Configuration", and then expand the "Administrative Templates".
    3. Expand the with the sign tagged on "Windows Components", and then click on the "Microsoft Management Console".

You can try configuring some settings regarding the "Microsoft Management Console" to go for a test . Good Luck!

Regedit should not be prompting if you are working as a standard user in this case. In any situation , it should help you out properly . If you are running in windows environment and working with the regedit,then you need to browse up the following :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Create two string values in the specified folder, suggested as : c:\windows\regedit.exe and c:\windows\system32\regedt32.exe

You should make a double-click on each entitled components and configure the values with the : RUNASINVOKER