Thread: Error Code 800F0902 on several Windows 7 64 bit updates

Error Code 800F0902 on several Windows 7 64 bit updates

Hi guys ! I got some issues when going to perform the installation of the updates. Actually, the scenario is that whenever, I am going to install the appropriate updates that is suggested by the windows 7 itself , there are so many updates are not going to be install properly . It is occurring the error with the code .... Error code: 800F0902. I am working with the Windows 7 64 bits. There are some updates got failed to go for the installation ..

Re: Error Code 800F0902 on several Windows 7 64 bit updates

This should be happened with the proper procedure then after you can achieve the update procedure what you are trying to do but in case, if you have started the update procedure then you need to be sure about something . Please just be sure that you are working with the Internet Explorer . Through the Tools menu =>Windows Updates, it will go properly without any issues .

If still not go ahead ,then just navigate to the directory %windir%\SoftwareDistribution and change the name as SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old. I hope, it would be helpful for you .

The same thing is also going on with me and I am not getting why it is happening with me . I continuously trying to perform the installation of latest updates and when I move to attempt them , they accidentally getting failed to process further . The Update history displays the error message with the code as error code : 800F0902, for entire latest updates. It has been happening for a long time . Can someone describe in very easy and precise manner, the procedure to resolve this ?

Would you provide me some information regarding the current workaround of your's . Means the critical programs that you have installed that is causing the issues , would you tell me what kind of anti-virus application or security suite has been installed and about your current subscription ? Which one Anti-spyware applications ? What third-party firewall you are running ?

Has some other Norton or McAfee application ever been installed onto the system (for instance , a free-trial version which is provided with the preinstallation when you purchased this )?

Yeah , I am running with the downloaded anti-virus installation which is the version of McAfee Internet Security Suite and it has been installed on my system and was working in free-trial mode means the post activation. Would it make any difference ? Incidentally, even though the update(s) apparently got failed to perform the installation (Update History), they do not provide themselves for the re-installation when running with the Windows Update installation again.

Dr. V Guest

If the above is not going feasible for you then you can go for the trial with this steps:

1- Open up the services from the control panel (Administrative Tools=>Services)
    2- Stop the services Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Cryptographic Service and Windows Updates (Automatic Updates if your are working with the windows Xp).
    3- Rename the SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old directory from C:\Windows
    4- Change the name from Catroot2 to Catroot2.old from C:\Windows\System32
    5- Reboot the services Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Cryptographic
    6- Service and Windows Updates .
    7- Now, check out for the updates.

Some time it might be a corrupt installation might create this issue.

Make sure you remove the failed updates completely from the 'Programs and Features' and then try to perform Windows Update.

1. Please go to Control Panel select ‘Programs and Features’, click on view installed updates and then uninstall the updates that failed to install and gave you an error 800F0902.

2. If you are not able to remove the update from ‘Programs and Features’, please use the windows cleanup utility tool to remove the updates.

Please use the link below to download the windows clean up utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

3. Once you uninstall the updates that failed to install, try to reset the Windows Update components.

4. Access the below link and try the Fix it tool mentioned in the article to automatically reset the Windows Update components:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

5. Download the System Readiness Tool before you perform Windows Update.

6. Here is a link to download System Readiness Tool and it also talks about description of System Readiness Tool:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

7.Now try to perform windows Update.

8. It should work now.

Step2:

If the issue still persists, you can try running the System File Checker (SFC.exe) and check if the issue persists. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions

Refer the link for further information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212
    U can use reginout reg cleaner for clean up utility

Let us know if you come across any issues