Thread: Display of .msg file attributes in Explorer

Display of .msg file attributes in Explorer

Currently I am using windows 2003 file server and also Exchange server 2003, and I am using windows 7 as client machine. In Microsoft outlook 2007, I am saving message that are in the .msg format on the file server share. Now in explorer when I am selecting the details view and also adding the columns for seeing from attribute, it is not showing anything in column. Is there anything that I am missing, if yes then please let me know about that.

Re: Display of .msg file attributes in Explorer

I have tested the thing that you have said and observed that the .mgs file is not collecting the “From” attribute. If you talk about the windows server 2003, there is not anything that like “From” attribute. Actually the thing is that the “From” attribute is only available in windows vista and the operating system that are launched after that. One more thing that I want to know is that if you are adding the source file with the “From” attribute, the “Form” attribute possible to collect or not.

Thanks for the quick response and the reply that you have given is also making sense, but thing is that I have saved the file locally on the C: drive of the machine on windows 7. I am getting the similar result that is something like no “From” attribute. According to I must be something else. It will be better if you can provide any suggestion for that.

I think I am also facing the same problem, I have saved the email in windows 7 but the “From” is not displaying anything. As per my knowledge, the attribute is coming with the file itself. I think that the Microsoft outlook is not writing the .msg file with the “From” attribute. If am not able to find the solution here then finally I have to contact outlook team for further assistance.

"Unlike the Read Only attribute of a file, Windows, components and accessories as well as other Windows programs are generally unaware that the Read Only attribute is associated with a file. For example you can use Windows Explorer to delete, rename and edit a file with the attribute Read only. " So, if you absolutely want to turn this attribute, it must be done on LINE CONTROL! In a command window, just run the command: ATTRIB-R "x: \-name \ folder-a \ la-con \-that is \ in-read-only"