Thread: runas and manage-bde.exe to set bitlocker pin?

runas and manage-bde.exe to set bitlocker pin?

I am trying to script the association of a bitlocker pin on existing encrypted drives. I am able to open up the command prompt and can go ahead as the administrator of the system and run: manage-bde.exe -protectors -add c: -tp 1234

I figured out that it is going fine without any issues . However, if I launch the command prompt running with the normal user account and then use ranas with the same account it fails.

runas /user:domain\useraname "manage-bde.exe -protectors -add c: -tp 1234"
    I suspect that there is some configuration which is required to make with the UAC, but I am not sure about this ...

Re: runas and manage-bde.exe to set bitlocker pin?

Hi guys ! I am also running with the same confusion and currently getting down because of thinking so much about this, failed to get the proper solution for this . I have searched a lot about this problem which seems as caused by UAC, runas is not the same.Someone have any suggestion for letting users set/change their bitlocker pin?

manage-bde and wmi can be implemented , but they both need to be run with the admin account and I am unable to get a proper method to elevate this within a method that would allow a regular user the ability to set their own pin.

This would be very supportive hint for you if you are searching regarding this ! I am enabling the bitlocker through an OSD task sequence and associating a custom command line job to configure up a temp PIN. I can have the desktop builders help the user configure one when they deliver the system, however I am just considering that there was a method available with the GUI facility for the nonadmins to configure this PIN !

I am just wondering that if somebody has found a method for nonadmin users to be capable to reconfigure their pin ? It has been some months since the above issue has been discussed on different site but there is no solution at all.

We don't have much luck establishing the computers using the TPM + PIN if there is not a way for allowing the users to reconfigure the PIN while in the field. I was just thinking that after going into the recovery password, I didn't got any option for resetting the PIN. If a user is not getting able to reconfigure that they will have to call the helpdesk every time they turn on their system.