Thread: Text Variables help in InDesign CS5

Text Variables help in InDesign CS5

I have recently started working with the InDesign CS5, so I am not having much knowledge about it. I am trying to do the basic things but in that also I am facing some problems. Now I am trying to create the text variable in CS5 but not getting the results as expected. So thought that you members can lend helpful hand for me. Please provide some text variables help in InDesign CS5 that can be useful for me. Any other notes regarding this topic would be grateful.

Re: Text Variables help in InDesign CS5

Since you are new to the InDesign CS5, I think that you should know basic things about the text variables before jumping to the main scenes. A text variable is an element that is inserted into the document and that varies according to context. For example, the variable number of the last page shows the page number of the last page of the document. If you add or remove pages, the variable is updated accordingly. InDesign includes several predefined text variables that can be inserted in the document. You can edit the format of these variables or create your own. Some variables (eg, header and chapter number) are particularly useful in the master pages to ensure that the numbering format and uniform. Other variables such as Creation Date and File Name are useful in the area of indications for printing.

I will tell you how can you create or edit text variables. The options available to create the dependent variable of the type of variable you specify. For example, if you choose the type chapter number, you can specify the text to appear before and after the number, and you can specify the numbering style. Also, if you choose the type header, you can specify which style is used as the basis of the header and you can select options to remove the final score and change the character case.
    1. To create text variables for use in all new documents you create, close all documents. Otherwise, the text variables to create only appear in the current document.
    2. Choose Type> Text Variables> Define.
    3. Click New or select an existing variable and click Edit.
    4. Type a name for the variable (for example, "chapter complete" or "Title").
    5. In the Text menu, choose a type of variable, specify the options of that type and then click OK.
    6. There are different options available depending on the type of variable you select.

Text anterior / posterior Text- For all types of variables (except custom text), you can specify the text to be added before or after the variable. For example, you add the word "the" before the variable number of the last page and the phrase "total pages" before the variable to create an effect of 12 total pages. You can also paste text into the pictures, but do not show special characters such as tabs and automatic page numbers. To insert special characters, click the triangle to the right of the text box.

Style- You can specify the numbering style for all types of variables numbered. If selected [current numbering style], the variable uses the same numbering style selected in the Options dialog box numbering and document section.

you should also know about the variable types that are used in InDesign CS5. A variable is created with the Chapter Number type inserts the chapter number. You can insert text before or after the chapter number and you can specify a numbering style. If the chapter number of the document is set to continue from the previous document in the book, you may need to update the numbering of the book to display the appropriate chapter number.

The creation date variable inserts the date or time was saved for the first time the document Modified Date inserts the date or time the document was last saved to disk and insert Release date date or time in which the paper begins a print job is exported to PDF or packaged. You can insert text before or after the date, and can change the date format for all date variables.