Thread: Cannot open normal.dot in Word 2003

Cannot open normal.dot in Word 2003

Hello,
    Probably due to mishandling, now every time I open Word and Outlook 2003, I have a box that opens and says, Can not open normal.dot, then it follows a number of questions which did lead nowhere and that make it takes me several minutes to get to leave a word document or outlook, somebody would have a solution please? Thank you in advance

Re: Cannot open normal.dot in Word 2003

Start typing WINWORD / a in run, if it be faulty, search everywhere, including in hidden folders and rename the Normal.dot file in it Normal.old and then restarts the application once, I think this should solve your problem. Otherwise you can check on the microsoft's official site for the same.

Thank you very much and I will do all this not this, my only concern is that I tried to rename the file but Vista refuses, who knows why, although I am administrator. The Normal.dot file is in Appl.data, microsoft, models. So, now if you have an alternate solution for this then please let me know. Thank you.

It's true that Vista is more picky. Make
    Code:
    CTRL + ALT + DEL
    and close the process of windows word and Outlook also left him a little time. If this solution does not help you post the exact error you are getting.

Actually the problem is to close Word but I do not see how it's done since to access the templates you need to open Word and when one reaches the Normal.dot, Word is always open since a dialog box opens in Word and you can not close Word without closing the dialog box. Also I'm using Outlook 2003 and then although I had to move my mail on Windows Mail, it is clear that Outlook is still operational. The ultimate weapon is to reinstall but unfortunately not for microsoft office reuses file already installed and reinstalled by repairing except Normal.dot. Microsoft said although it can not modify Normal.dot reinstalling Microsoft Office.

You do not launch Word nor your email program as I think anyway that when you throw your PC, you do not have those programs spears at startup so your normal.dot is not active. You must go and look with Explorer by enabling the option to search also in the hidden files and folders. Think also configure your mail program so that it does not use Word for mail. I do not have Vista on hand to tell you exactly-Look in the advanced options / program used for writing messages. Regarding resettlement options regardless of normal.dot, simply clean the registry by deleting the keys that keep these settings for me but relocation is not necessary if you erase the normal.dot. You can even launch Word regardless of launching Word normal.dot with command WINWORD / a as already suggested.

Small request: try to complete your profile, because as we should not ask you if you are XP or Vista and you also know the machine type and configuration that you use. In Word, if you have Office 2003 normal.dot that is the need to "treat", if Office 2007 I think it's normal. You must know that the Winword / a is a temporary solution to ignore a normal.dot polluted. Do not think this is a final solution. What happens if you rename it, not finding Office "sound" (one per user) normal.dot, it's a nice clean re-manufactured who becomes Operational and will start to remember your little personal modifications.