Thread: Windows mail on windows 7

Windows mail on windows 7

I have just converted my system to Windows 7 from vista and i have found that the Windows Mail is not there on windows 7 operating system. I am not comfortable by using the Windows Live and i am just interested in sending the mails. Outlook express is gone and i am using Outlook. Ia there any other way to use Windows Mail on Windows 7.

Re: Windows mail on windows 7

As there are not much differences between the registries pattern of the windows operating system i think it would be possible to make small changes in the Windows features. Actually i think you should try to use Windows mail of windows Vista on your windows 7 system. You can try it as it might happen that it works on windows 7 as well.

If you want to use the Windows Mail provided in the windows vista then you have to copy all the content (files) provided in the %SystemDrive%\Program Files\Windows Mail\ of windows vista system which you have to paste at the same place on the windows 7 operating system so that the same folder gets replaced. Now reboot your system and check that it works or not.

I have found one more solution for this problem, Actually you can do this from the registry as well as you have to change the value of it on windows 7 system. Go to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\eml_auto_file\shell\open\command and then double click on the default given on the right pane. You have to change the value data exactly to "C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\winmail.exe"

You should first download the Windows-Mail-Vista.zip, You may also do the same as getting it from the windows vista system itself.
    Then take all the permissions and ownership of the Program Files\Windows Mail\ folder on windows 7 system.
    Now overwrite the windows mail folder of Vista on the Program Files\Windows Mail of Windows 7.
    Create the shortcut on the desktop which must be pointing to %SystemDrive%\Program Files\Windows Mail\winmail.exe.

The only way to get the Windows Mail on Windows 7 operating system is to get the Registry folder of the Windows Mail of some other Windows operating system on your Windows 7 OS as windows 7 does not have it in general. So it would be better if you get the same from the Vista System Folder as it is the one just older then the Windows 7.