Thread: How to share an iPhoto Library

How to share an iPhoto Library

I was working on using iPhoto and our exterior FireWire hard drive so that the entire users on my apparatus might share the similar iPhoto library. I set up a copy of my iPhoto library on our exterior drive using my account, then Fast User Switched in excess of to my friend account to observe if he might view it, create changes, etc. Previous to I switched his to the exterior library using iPhoto, on the other hand, I noticed that the library on the exterior drive was obtainable to his using iPhoto library sharing. Certain sufficient, together his and my account had iPhoto sharing set up, and in view of the fact that iPhoto was tranquil working in my account, it was sharing my library from the exterior hard drive to his account with the library on the local account. User ratings (0-5 stars) were conserved from side to side sharing, as customary, even though keywords were not.

Re: How to share an iPhoto Library

You might desire to be capable to edit the similar iPhoto library from additional than one user account. If you desire to do this, you must first take a number of steps to create certain every user has continuous read/write right of entry to the iPhoto Library folder. As a precaution, you might desire to create a backup of your iPhoto library folder previous to following these steps. To share your iPhoto library, you determine to require shifting the folder to a volume where permissions are disregarded. There are a couple of ways to do this: you have to shift the folder to an exterior drive. After that you have to connect an exterior USB or FireWire drive which has sufficient free space to contain the library. Choose this drive in the Finder. Select File > Get Info. In the get Info window, choose the alternative to pay no attention to Permissions on this volume (more often than not selected by defaulting). At the end copy your iPhoto library to this drive.

If you encompass selected this volume for utilize as a Time apparatus backup, you determine to not be capable to choose the alternative to ignore permissions on the similar volume. Choose a dissimilar volume for the destination of your shared iPhoto library. Maintain in mind that at the same time as one user is viewing this library from iPhoto, an additional user determines to not be capable to open this library at the similar time. As an alternative, an alert message comes into view indicating that the library is previously in utilize You determine to necessitate to quit iPhoto from the additional user account previous to the next user determine to be capable to view or edit this library.

On the other hand, shift the folder to a disk image. You have to open the Disk Utility from the /Applications/Utilities/ folder. After that you have to select File > New > Blank Disk Image. Name the disk picture. Then select a large sufficient size from the Size pop-up menu to accommodate your present iPhoto library, plus prospect expansion. From the Format menu select read/write disk image or sparse disk image (recommended). Save the disk picture to a position where additional users are able to right of entry it, such as in /Users/Shared/. The disk representation is supposed to mechanically mount when Disk Utility is finished creating it. If it does not, twice hit it off the representation file in the Finder to mount the picture. It is supposed to then demonstrate up as a mounted volume, presently similar to any additional disk. Pull the iPhoto library folder to the disk picture to create a copy of the entire library.

The iPhoto determine to at present forever look for the library on this disk representation. You determine to desire to create certain the image is mounted previous to launching iPhoto if you desire to utilize this library. It might be a superior idea to add the disk image to your Login Items to automate mounting the representation each time you log in. Observe Mac OS X: Setting up Login, Startup items for additional information in sequence. You determine to necessitate modifying the permissions on the disk image to permit the entire users to write to it. Navigate to the disk representation; if you saved to the defaulting location, position the image in /Users/Shared. Choose the disk image file. From the File menu, decide Get Info. In the Info window, find the "Sharing & Permissions" segment. You might necessitate clicking the disclosure triangle to observe the details for this section. Hit it off the lock in the bottom-right corner of the Info window. Enter a superintendent name and password when prompted. Beneath the Privilege column for "everyone," change "Read only" to "Read & Write."Then you have to close the Info window. Make a note of: If a user attempts to open the iPhoto library at the same time as in utilize by an additional local user, the disk image determine to not mount; iPhoto determine to as an alternative display an alert message. In addition, an alert message indicating the library is previously in utilize come into view if a local user attempts to mount the disk image tenuously.

I do not get it. What's the suggestion. You figured out the iPhoto sharing runs. That's not innovative. What did the exterior hard drive and iPhoto encompass to do by means of it. The entire of this be supposed to encompass worked if you left your iPhoto Library under your homedir, turned on iPhoto sharing, switched to the additional account, launched iPhoto with the alternative key held down, and navigated to your iPhoto Library folder when iPhoto prompts you to pick a library. You might necessitate to create your iPhoto Library folder world-writable (or place together accounts in the similar UNIX group), but I am missing the point of iPhoto and the entire exterior hard drive thing.

I used to contribute to the similar iPhoto Library with my friends, using a standard unix symbolic connection so that the folder "iPhoto Library" in my friend's home folder was essentially a symbolic connection pointing to my real folder in my home, and frequently alter right of entry rights to the entire files in the folder to permit my friend to work on it. This hack is broken down with iPhoto4, as it resets owner and right of entry rights of the AlbumData.xml file. I found a straightforward explanation to fix this problem, provided you encompass a volume onto which you put out of action access rights A: Copy your iPhoto Library database to the volume with access rights put out of action. The iPhoto Library folder stands in your home folder, under the folder Pictures. You have to rename your innovative iPhoto Library folder to "iPhoto Library - old" (in your home folder, under the folder Pictures). This is the complicated part : for every of the users, open the Terminal submission (in Applications/Utilities), and type the following commands : % cd Pictures % ln -s /Volumes/YOUR_VOLUME_HERE/iPhoto Library.