Thread: Microsoft Office suddenly not genuine

Microsoft Office suddenly not genuine

Am using Microsoft Office 2007 on my Windows Xp since a long time and had never faced any problem. But from last couple of days, I turn on my pc a message pops up saying "this copy of Microsoft Office is not the genuine.when I click help it asks me to uninstall all. In past times, i have installed updates as well without any problem, but now it won't even allows me to install updates. Please help.

Re: Microsoft Office suddenly not genuine

I don't know what is the exact problem with your system but if it is really a genuine copy than just follow these few steps to fix it out:
    • Double click on My Computer, locate to the following folder:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\
    • Here you have to delete the file named data.dat. This file is for Office (not OGA)
    • Once you have finished deleting this file, open Excel or Word and activate it.
    • Once you are done with this go online and chech the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA)

When you start an Office product that worked correctly in the past, you receive an error message that states that significant changes were made to the configuration of the computer. In this scenario, you may experience any one of the following symptoms:
    1. When you start an Office product, you are prompted to enter a product key. When you enter the product key, you receive an "Invalid Product Key" error message. This behavior occurs even though you entered the product key that is supplied with the Office product.
    2. When you try to activate the Office product, the Activation Wizard disappears.
    3. When you try to activate the Office product over the Internet, you receive a communication-related error.

It seems that your version of Office suite is not official. So contact the person who sold you the computer, if at that time it was he who installed the Office Suite. Many people also face "non-genuine copy of Office" which suggests that you are not alone in this case.

many times you are unable to install office updates if osa.exe is corrupted. But it can be replaced by making use of Ghost recovery CD. Ghost explorer interface to restore sole file you can perform this inside windows so there is no need to boot to DOS.

I’ll suggest you to try repairing your Office if you are unable to fix the above problem. To do the same, remove it from add/remove program, and when it asks you for repair click on it. Make sure you have the Office CD with you at the same time. For more info on repairing MS Office, just go through this thread: How to repair problems in Ms office 2007