Thread: Windows Media Player in Windows 7 cannot play widescreen video in the correct aspect ratio.

Windows Media Player in Windows 7 cannot play widescreen video in the correct aspect ratio.

I have upgraded my computer from Windows Vista to Windows 7 Home. I have noticed some problem in the widescreen feature of the Windows Media Player as it is not able to play widescreen files in the correct aspect ratio. Instead of getting the picture with the ratio of 16:9, I am getting a Stretched Picture.

Re: Windows Media Player in Windows 7 cannot play widescreen video in the correct aspect ratio.

Actually the ratio of the picture which you are playing on Windows Media Player would not be having a proper resolution as depending on which Media Player increases the picture equally according to the ratio so that you can view the same movie with wide screen without any problem in resolution of that.

Re: Windows Media Player in Windows 7 cannot play widescreen video in the correct aspect ratio.

first of all open the Window Media Player and then go to the Player Library where you have to click on the View Menu. Here you would be having an option for Video Size where you can select any one of the following.
    • Fit video to Player on resize or a video size percentage.
    • Fit Player to video.

I have seen this kind of problem on my Windows XP system as i was using HDV videos which was having the resolution of 1440x1080i and pixel aspect ratio of 1.433 but the Media Player 11 was treating as a 4:3. But it is possible to change the displayed aspect ratio for which you have to go to the Devices tab in Options and then select for the Display and click on Properties.

I think you should check that the settings on the Media player regarding the full screen of the media player. I suggest you to make all the settings on your Media Player as default and then play the same video and press Alt+Enter which will automatically view it in full screen. Now see that the videos has proper ratio or not.