Thread: Windows 7 Media Center Black screen with Sound

Windows 7 Media Center Black screen with Sound

I need some urgent help from you all guys. recently i have upgraded one of my Vista computer to Windows 7. Every thing is fine and am impressed too with its rich features. but only the pain am getting is from its Media Center. I can only hear the sound while playing any video file but the screen remains blank. Same thing happens while playing any DVD as well.

Am sure there is no problem with my Video files or DVD because it works fine in powerDVD. Do you guy shave any idea about the same? Please help me out fixing the same. Thanks.

Re: Windows 7 Media Center Black screen with Sound

Not sure but most probably this may be cause of any codec. I’ll suggest you to eliminate all the codecs and any 3rd party software (if any) that permit you sight your tuner. Even ensure that you have most recent drivers for your video card that you can get from the official website. Once you are done uninstalling the codec and updating the drivers, confirm that it's functioning and reboot the system. Now you can install any codecs back to your system that you require. Up of all you can go with sharks codecs for windows 7.

Actually, Windows 7 have need of speeding up on the GFX and is not possible with the default drivers that come preloaded. Hence you all you need to do in order to fix this black screen is update all your drivers with the latest one. Update your GFX.

Couple of weeks ago, i was also facing the same problem but fortunately i figured the problem. It was the receiver. Linking the system’s HDMI out straightly to the TV did the trick. You can also try this. Do reply the results.

Am too aware of this problem as I faced this problem recently on my Windows 7 system. In my case, it was the ATI radeon drivers making my media center to remain black and not display any film. What I did was rolled back to old drivers and guesses what, it got fixed. I experienced that there was some problem with the ATI video card that twists up the codecs in the media center. Also I would like to say that if we test with Nvidia card and Nvidia drivers, it works better and not with ATI.

I handled to get the actions to stop when I removed shark007 codec pack. After that I become aware of an upgrade for shark007 codec pack. So I updated the same but problem came back. Even when I uninstalled the pack, problem use to remain. What I can guess is the problem is with internal hardware and codec pack is just masking the problem. And somewhere, you guys are right about the ATI. We must start questioning on ati forums.

Windows 7 make use of its own codecs for making out numerous audio and video formats. Both Media Player and the Media Center make use of a fresh framework that is named as Media Foundation as an alternative of DirectShow while playing certain audio or video. In such situation, they will make use of the Microsoft decoders all the time, rather than any 3rd party DirectShow filters. Media Foundation can play files formats like.m2ts, .mp4, and .mov.