Thread: Unable to make calls using Skype

Unable to make calls using Skype

Hello,
    As indicated by the title of my subject, I can not call or answer a call in Skype. I have the following error: "problem with sound device". To see if my microphone works fine (it works on windows) I tried applying the "sound recorder" and then I have the following error: "Your audio capture settings are invalid. Please fix the parameters multimedia. " I turned everything on the microphone in the volume controller, but it changes nothing.

Re: Unable to make calls using Skype

Even I do have a same problem and in addition when I go to the menu System / Preferences / Sound / devices / conference audio / sound capture / test
    I see the following:
    "Gconfaudiosrc! AudioConvert! Audioresample! Gconfaudiosink profile = chat: Could not open resource for writing".
    Have you tried to this system / preference / sound you try tinkering a bit to see? (Particularly the "capture sound")

Try the following on the command line
    Code:
    sudo / etc / init.d / alsa-utils restart
    And what version of Skype do you have installed? And after all is done just restart your computer once.

To summarize the explanation, the problem was here dmix , which is used by sound cards that do not support hardware mixing (reproduce several different sounds at the same time). Dmix realized in this case a mixing software, to send a single audio stream to the soundcard. The problem is that ALSA dmix plugin does not support the removal of the audio stream from the microphone from the sound card. It is a kind of "virtual soundcard" but only of the output. The solution is to create in / etc / asound.conf a new description for a "virtual soundcard" that uses the sound card directly to the input and output to dmix:
    Code:
    Backup the file / etc / asound.conf :
    Code:
    $ Sudo cp / etc / asound.conf / etc / asound.conf.bak
    Open / etc / asound.conf with write permission (eg $ sudo gedit / etc / asound.conf) and
    - Add the definition of pcm.skype "(see code below)
    - Ensuring replace slave.pcm "dmix" by slave.pcm "skype" in the definition of "pcm." default "

Then save, close and restart ALSA
    Code:
    $ Sudo / etc / init.d / alsa-utils restart
    It remains to relaunch Skype, which should now work correctly.

I had a sound problem with a Cirrus Logic (or CS4297A CrystalClear CS4614/22/24) and Skype: the sound worked well on my PC, also recording, only Skype could not hear me (I heard my correspondents). Basically, Skype had a problem with the microphone. I had indeed enabled the microphone to capture, ADC Capture was high, DAC was not captured, but the high level, high CFM also. I solved the problem like this:
    Code:
    CS46xx.conf post with:
    sudo nano / usr/share/alsa/cards/CS46xx.conf
    Save and close.
    Code:
    Reconfigure ALSA
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base

What did you like "devices" recognized by Skype (tools, options, sound devices) please? Oh and sub, you have sound otherwise?? And last question alternative, have you tried the static version?