Thread: Silverlight installation problems

Silverlight installation problems

Throughout this week, I've been trying to update a series of production equipment with Silverlight 3 to 4, I say trying because we have found a pretty big problem. Anyway, to update Silverlight 3 to 4 we used the official website where you can download the Silverlight runtime. The installation process begins and fails within seconds. The normal process fails if an installer is to reverse the changes made so far and leave it as is. So I am expecting some help from your side.!!

Re: Silverlight installation problems

I was also having the same issue. From that moment, in Add and Remove Programs, in the case of XP, and in the case of Vista or 7, Uninstall a program, not Silverlight. Looking at the folder where you install Silverlight if the files are actually links to Out Of Browser applications are and if we click on them sllaucher.exe, Silverlight is started. Hope that it will help you too.

From that time sailing with either browser will not load Silverlight applications and loads the host OOB (sllauncher.exe) but not the content appears within the icon "Get Silverlight". Moreover, we will http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight and tells us we have Silverlight installed and NOT to download it. We adventurers had downloaded it and we will try to install, but the installation process fails again repeatedly. So anyone knowing the solution, please post it here.

Well, as discussed in the microsoft forum that reference before and after me detailed as Microsoft Support has created a tool for uninstalling Office 97, called the Windows Installer Clean Up, which it does is find programs installed with Windows Installer and completely eliminated. So after doing this your problem will be resolved. Hope that will be useful.

The steps to install Silverlight from that time are:
    1. Download and install the tool (If you're on Windows Vista or 7 base run as Administrator but fails)
    2. We look for "Windows Installer Clean Up" and execute it (should be in a folder similar to this, C: \ Program Files \ Windows Installer Clean Up and msicuu.exe program is called) and delete all entries that refer to Silverlight.
    3. We went to the command line (CMD in the Start Search box or in run) run: reg delete HKLM \ Software \ Microsoft \ Silverlight / f
    4. And finally download and install Silverlight from the link: http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/

Investigating I found that Internet Explorer had all add-ons disabled and enabled button was blocked. I continued on my errand of trying to fix it and I found a TechNet article (now I have not at hand but if someone asks what I put in the comments). That is a policy that is stored in the Windows registry key:
    SOFTWARE> MICROSOFT> WINDOWS> CurrentVersion> Policies> EXT
    Whose name is RestrictToList value is 0 if all add-ons are allowed and if a just a "white list" which is also found in the registry. In order to avoid having to navigate the Windows registry I had a compiled utility .NET 2.0 to check that registry key and, in case you are wrong, fix it.