Thread: Silverlight 4 FTP File Upload

Silverlight 4 FTP File Upload

Hi guys ! I am within some confusion here and need some help from you all. Actually, I am going to do something that I haven't done before , can you guide me to do this . Is it possible to upload a file onto the ftp server using silverlight 4 sockets? I am unable to implement a normal webservice as a proxy withihn the silverlight and the FTP server..

Thanks ..

Re: Silverlight 4 FTP File Upload

That's fine and obviously you can go for this but you should know one thing here . It can be performed with only a Full trusted application and the careful steps should be made.

The reason for this with a in-browser Silverlight application, the port range for sockets should be in the range of 4502-4534 (FTP is 21). This is for security purposes. But, you can pass via the service that perform the job.

When I previously worked with the silverlight 4 that happened before months , when I implemented the DataForm, I was able to remove out a DataForm from the Page suggested and picked up the table from my DataSource and remove dropped the DataForm. As a evaluation, I had entire sections created automatically.

I am trying to go for the same way to create this again. Drop a table into my DataForm to auto create the sections, but it is not functioning . Something has configured in this latest toolkit? Am I going in wrong way to do ?

I am trying to upload a ftp file onto the server using silverlight application. Where the destination to upload the file on server file system, already outside the sandbox section for the web server. In this situation, the web server root stored at the following location "C:\test\www\" and the location to upload the file will stored at "C:\User\Uploads". In this situation, i am not sure if Http POST will be feasible (doesn't that go with the web server root). I require to upload the file selected by the user to another destination which may exist outside the sandbox. With silverlight I am just considering about the sockets and that is my last option depends on the limited port range for silverlight being 4502-4532. Can I go for this with the help of WebClient and Http POST? Can I create an ftp connection via the silverlight or javascript?

It seems something interesting situation, since it looks as you are doing these entire things on the same system (both client and server). FTP uploading itself doesn't have any compatibility with the Silverlight, but the concept of uploading a file is processed via an HTTP stream of data.

If you need to go for an HTTP upload from a client enabled system to the server: You can implement the OpenFileDialog control in Silverlight 2 as well as 3 to scan that data and then after work with the WebClient to upload this .