Thread: Outlook 2007 Instant Search does not index emails from Outlook PST files

Outlook 2007 Instant Search does not index emails from Outlook PST files

Outlook 2007 Instant Search does not index emails from Outlook PST files this is the problem I am facing with my Microsoft Outlook. I am struggling to get windows search for indexing my emails. Currently I am using window 7 in accordance with Microsoft outlook 2007. Previously I was using Windows XP and Microsoft outlook 2003. I was not facing any such king of problem while using that. Any related reply will be appreciated.

Re: Outlook 2007 Instant Search does not index emails from Outlook PST files

As far as I know window search can index you local files, but it will not display any of your email files. Try to do following this for achieving thing that you need. Try to run Microsoft Diagnostic, you can also try to run windows 7 assist utility. Generate a new profile in your outlook and the run scnpst on your outlook pst file. You need to make sure that the indexing option file indicates rich text format.

Thanks for the suggestion but nothing worked for me. One thing that worked a bit was that, after trying re-indexing, the windows search IS was indexing the individual Outlook messages that I have saved in the My documents folder, But the problem is that it is not indexing the PST files that I am having. If you have any other solution for this problem then please let me know about it.

I am also facing the similar problem, when I am trying to open the search option in Outlook Instant search the two options for “Indexing” and “Search” are disable. Hence I cannot select any of the PST file for indexing or customizing any of the search option. Here is some information that may help you to provide a better solution. I am using Office 2007 SP2 on Windows 7 and the pst files are stored on D: drive.

very excellent

The thing is that if you install Google Application Sync then this plug-in will disable the ability of searching in outlook data. This is because when you are installing the plug-in then it modifies some of the registry key that disable the windows desktop search from indexing. Since the outlook search depends upon the indexing that is done by windows desktop search, the outlook search function is broken. One more thing that you should keep in mind is that; if you uninstall this thing then it will not fix the problem.

If you are facing this problem then the only solution for your problem is to modify some of the registry keys. This will help you to solve the problem that you are facing. First you need to press windows and R key and then you have to type “REGEDIT” and then press enter. Then you will be able to see registry key window. After that search for the fdsollowing registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search". After that you have manually reset the values of “PreventIndexingOutlook = 0”. After doing this you can close the window and your system will get back to your normal position.