Thread: Excel hangs when copying

Excel hangs when copying

I am having issues with my Excel 2007. The problem occurs when I try to copy anything from my Excel sheet and paste it any where else on the same file or somewhere else. It either sometimes hangs for certain interval or doesn't perform anything. This happens only on my Excel sheets but not anywhere else. I didn't noticed this strange behaviour on my Word or PowerPoint. What should be the problem according to you?

Re: Excel hangs when copying

This problem occurs when you copy from a worksheet with formulas that contain 3-D references if the formulas contain #REF! values. The #REF! values within these formulas are usually generated when you make copies of worksheets that are themselves copies of other worksheets containing formulas with 3-D references.

Maybe the file has been corrupted. I would suggest you to try roundtripping the file. Save the file as web page (HTML) and close it. Now open this saved HTML document in Excel and resave as Excel workbook.

Did you tried to save the content into some text editor and then pasting it into the desired location? What happens if you do so? Have you done any formatting with the content and are unable to save it or which is causing you the problem? What happens if you use "Paste Special" in excel? There may be some kind of conflict due to which it is hanging.

Did you installed any add-ins, most probably recently which is causing you this problem? Do you have any macros in your Excel sheet running automatically based on sheet updates or other events ? Remove or disable them all and see if it helps. Also try to create a new blank worksheet and try to copy and pasting some content to make sure if that happens with this Excel file too.