Thread: Cannot open two excel files side by side in Windows 7

Cannot open two excel files side by side in Windows 7

I have Office 2007 installed on my computer running Windows 7. I need to open and work on a lot of Excel sheets at a time. For this I tried to open and work on two excel files side by side but it didn't worked. Windows allows me to only work on a sheet at a time. Is there any way to open 2 excel sheets side by side? How?

Re: Cannot open two excel files side by side in Windows 7

Windows 7 has a feature know as Snap which allows you to resize open windows simply by dragging them to the edges of your screen. Depending on where you drag a window, you can make it expand vertically, take up the entire screen, or appear side-by-side with another window. Snap makes reading, organizing, and comparing windows well to get the clear picture. It is an inbuilt feature and so you don't have to install anything.

Thanks for your information but then how to use it and where will I get this feature? Will it be helpful in my case as I am cannot open two Excel files and put them side by side?

Yes it will work. You can click/drag, move, and resize your two spreadsheets as needed. Just open the Excel files that you want to view side by side. Go to the View tab, and in the Window section click the "View Side by Side" button. You should see both of your sheets at the same time.

There is yet another way to open your excel sheets in the way you want. If you have tried the above method then you might notice that the two sheets would appear either appear horizontally or vertically but you are not allowed to move your sheets in your own desired way. What if you want to make all your sheets appear in TILE or CASCADE? For this, open the two files, click on the View tab; in the Window section click "Arrange All" and chose between tile, vertical, horizontal or cascade and click ok button.

The solution to the problem is to open Excel a second time and open the 2nd document from there. You can then move each windows separately.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkWaterhouse View Post
    The solution to the problem is to open Excel a second time and open the 2nd document from there. You can then move each windows separately.
    Welcome to the forum. Appreciated that you have come with the solution, but I really want to know if you were saying to open the Excel Sheet and then open the Excel documents from the open option that that you get after making a click on the Microsoft Office Button. Let me know if I get it right. If you meant to say something else then would like to hear the same in your next post and this is the solution to all the other users that are having this trouble. You can open two Excel Sheets in Windows 7 in this manner.

Thanks Mewad for your comments.
    Yes I am saying open Excel 1st.
    The 1st Document you can open it which ever way you want.
    But the second sheet you need to open Excel 1st from your Start/All Programs/Microsoft Office/Excel or what other Short cut you use and then within Excel click on Open from the Microsoft Office Button.

You can now have one Excel sheet on one screen and the other on a 2nd screen.