Thread: Problem with JRE 6 update

Problem with JRE 6 update

Hello,
    So, here I have Ubuntu and I wanted to install the new version of java 6 update. So I did like this: I downloaded the package jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin on the Java website, then after:
    Code:
    Sudo mkdir / usr / local / java
    I move the package into this directory
    Code:
    Then cd / usr / local / java
    then I did
    Code:
    sudo chmod u + x jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin 
    then 
    sudo. / Jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
    But the update is not yet done. What am I missing here? Please help me with this. Thank you.

Re: Problem with JRE 6 update

Try with this command in console:
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives - config java
    It allows you to choose a version of Java is installed on your system, if there are several, and if the default is not good.

Sorry it did not work. Here is what you see:
    There is a program which provides java (/ usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java).
    Nothing to configure. But I have java 6 but in fact java 6 update 11 is not a plugin? Need to install? I would like to know what has actually corresponds java version 6 update and how to install it in another way and it did not work with synaptic it only gives me version 6 update 7.

Even I did had the same issue then I noticed that my plugin mozilla institute:
    Code:
    Java (Tm) Plug-in 1.6.0_07-b06
    I think version 6 update 11 is in this plugin because I installed java 6 and when I test my machine it says I have java 6 update 7 as the plugin.

I did a test on the sun's official site and here what I say:
    Utilize an old version of Java 6update 7 and I went on More information and they say: Java version: 1.6.0_07. I can not understand what this is? Please help me with this. Thanks for your replies.

Yes, because on some sites (they do not yet beucoup) but I do not see anything and they ask me to update my Java. In fact I'll re-explain I installed sun java 6 by Add-Remove But when I did a test it says I have the java version 6upadte7 (or 6u7) and yet I installed the 6 short but looking at the plugins I found was that corresponds 1.6.0_007 has my opinion the version 6update 7
    and I would like the 6u11 and I think it comes from the mozilla plugin should it be the 1.6.0_11.

I again explained I want the Java 6u11 for some sites. I was having a Java 5 + plugin and I shall uninstall and Add / Remove I installed Sun Java 6 with the plugin for mozilla that they advise and they tell me I have version 6 update 7 (6u7 or) in Java. It's bizare since I installed version 6 short + plugin (but if you look better in mozilla firefox plugin we notice that his name Java (Tm) Plug-in 1.6.0_07 so I wonder when the site advises me to install the Java 6 update 11 is not the mozilla plugin should be changed so that it becomes 1.6.0_11. You know what? is relative to the plugin? with synaptic and it is only version 6 update 7.