Thread: Problem installing StarOffice under ubuntu

Problem installing StarOffice under ubuntu

Hello,
    I try to install with the "install" option the staroffice (linux version) that is ubuntu but I can not do: it told me that the file has some "dependency problem , this file needs libfreetype.so.6. Any one know what this additional or depend file is? Any help regarding this topic is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Install StarOffice under ubuntu

I found a way to install staroffice, for those who have had the same pb as me, here is the solution (for those who install staroffice or openoffice on a distribution linux debian based packages such as ubuntu):

- Install Alien, if not already installed, with synaptic
    - Uninstall the package openoffice.org-common for your distribution
    - Open the file manager, go to the folder containing the rpm packages staroffice, and move packages "jre-6u7-linux-i586.rpm" and "staroffice9-suse-menus", they are useless: java- runtime-environment is present on synaptic, just install this way, and "suse-menu" does not include distributions like ubuntu
    - Open a terminal to set the folder "/ RPMS" of Staroffice
    - Type "sudo alien-k-i *. rpm"
    - Until the end of the process (which is long enough since there are 250 packages installed)

this is how you install staroffice ubuntu. The installation script provided with staroffice can not be used for the simple reason that it is made solely for distribution to rpm package and not deb packages.

To install a package under ubuntu just go through your package manager (aptitude, apt-get, synaptic, adept ...). Here we will use aptitude. Open a terminal and type in:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
    Then redo your installation process by giving me the exact error message with a copy paste. In your case normally just install the package libfreetype6 as shown apt-file:
    Code:
    $ apt-file search libfreetype.so.6 
    libfreetype6: / usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 libfreetype6: / usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6.3.18
    To install:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install libfreetype6

Can you give me the result of:
    Code:
    dpkg-l | grep apt-cache search libfreetype libfreetype cat / etc / apt / sources.list
    Install apt-file:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update sudo aptitude safe-upgrade sudo aptitude install apt-file sudo apt-file update apt-file search libfreetype.so.6
    And give me the result of the last command.
    See if this helps you Problem in installing StarOffice

There is a problem with their installer, because I tried it again, same error message, he invited me to look at the listing of the installation, I'll give a party, where bell here "error: dependency required: libfreetype.so.6 is necessary to ooobasis3.0-Core4-3.0.0-9358.i586 That's all the information I can give you, I think the program does not seek to libfreetype.so.6 good location.

Re: Problem installing StarOffice under ubuntu

By cons how I can verify that I have all my sources update installed and configured because I feel it will not appear when I run the program source update: I n 't that "jaunty partner" in the third-party software, so I had further with the older version of ubuntu

Re: Problem installing StarOffice under ubuntu

In fact, installing staroffice linux that I have is a facility for all distributions, not only ubuntu is here to give it another procedure to install it without using the installation program, simply I have the impression that such other procedure is there to "help": I think the setup I staroffice install more stuff, like the windows version, like the early start.