Thread: hp-windows xp pro prob

hp-windows xp pro prob

Hell me please. I was givin a HP compaq nc4200 that will not boot. I have tried everything in the recovery console and still wont work. I have tried a clean install and the error says there is an internal setup error, and to contact administrator. Now it is telling me a windows\system32\config\system.sav is missing. I have done an onboard HDD test and all past, also checked memory and all passed. The pc has windows xp pro on it. I have tried support.microsoft #307545 and it did not work. I would like to do a clean install. Thanks for any help
    Last edited by paulyo; 14-07-2010 at 03:13 AM.

Re: hp-windows xp pro prob

Well, if you have got the Windows XP installation disc then try to do a Repair Installation.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Read more suggestions given here - windows\system32\config\system is missing

Thanks for your attention, I have tried this and it gets to the end and tells me that an internal setup error has occured and to contact my administrator, then the only option is to hit exit. I have run an onboard HDD tester and a RAM tester and all test passes. Have you ever used a debugger ? I was also thinking i might try a null-cable to run a debugger on another pc, what is your thoughts. At one time i was getting BSOD. I do have the original OS cd and it will not load, i get the error message above. Any ideas ?

Better check your system specification first. You laptop is equipped with Intel Pentium M processor. It is built for Genuine Windows XP Professional SP2 and you can install Windows Vista also. I think the Windows disc which you are using is not proper. Try to arrange a different disc for the same. Disable some security options from the BIOS and run the setup again.

Thanks for the help. I do have the Genuine Windows XP. However - I do like the idea about the security options in bios. I will try this and post results. I know i should probably ditch this POS , but i got i for free. Thanks again.

You can try to just replac the Windows\System32\Config\System file. Boot with the XP CD and at 'Welcome to setup', press F10 or R to 'repair' and then press C to enter the Recovery Console. Here you will have to rename \Windows\System32\Config\System to \Windows\System32\Config\System.old as a backup and then copy Windows\System32\Config\System.sav to Windows\System32\Config\System.

You should have a command prompt >
    Assuming system is on C
    Type the following pressing enter after each line

C:

cd \windows\system32\config

rename system system.old

copy system.sav system

exit

Now reboot