Thread: Help: vista/wmm converting mpegs?

Help: vista/wmm converting mpegs?

I have read a lot of people's problems with using mpegs in wmm, wishing I would have known about this before I spent 2 days making the movie!

So now that I have the movie made and cannot publish it-

I understand I have to convert the mpegs to avi?

How *exactly* do I do this? SOmething about downloading a program? But then do I have to go to the original files and convert them, or can I do something with the movie I spent so long making?

I'm looking for a magic tool to just take the movie I edited and magically make it work. If that is not possible, what is the easiest way to not lose the work I have already done?

Re: Help: vista/wmm converting mpegs?

If you can search on google for mpegs to avi converter than you can pretty easily get tons of software for the same. However, converting files to another format takes a lot of time depending upon your computer configurations. One such tool called the MPEG to AVI Converter free can be used for such converting, download it via searching it on google.

But do I have to go back to the original files and convert them (meaning do I lose all of the work I did?)? Is there anything I can do to convert the whole project?

Quote Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
    But do I have to go back to the original files and convert them (meaning do I lose all of the work I did?)? Is there anything I can do to convert the whole project?
    No, if you have already made the video file in mpeg file format then just download the converter and install and run it. If you havent converted the file or didnt made any video file then could you tell us what is the file format of the video file? We can get a converter for the same as well probably.

OK. Here is what I have:
    *357 short clips from a trip to Ethiopia, all in mpeg
    *Windows Movie Maker

Forget the other movie I made.

How do I use all of those clips? DO I have to convert them one by one!? I am so frustrated because when I bought the sony camcorder I specifically asked if I could just plug it into the computer and use WMM and they said yes.

Do you recommend that I download the converter and convert them one by one or can I convert the whole folder? Or do you recommend that I just use the movie editing software they gave me with the camera?

Yes, you will have to convert them one by one. If the file size of the video file is more, then it will take more time for conversion as well. If I usually convert a 750mb movie file to some other file format, then it usually takes 30 minutes for conversion, depending upon my processor speed which is a quad core. Previously when I was having the Intel Pentium 4 HT Processor, conversion took approx. more than 1 hours or so. So it depends on a good system as well.