Thread: Photoshop CS5 Slow Panning

Photoshop CS5 Slow Panning

I am working with a newly purchased MacBook Pro i7 with 4GB RAM memory. My system is configured with the Automatic Graphic Switching (I have also tried this with automatic graphic switching in off mode, forcing it to work with the high performance graphic card, with the same evaluation). From Photoshop CS5 prefs, this is configured to enable OpenGL Drawing and in the advanced setting, configured with the Advanced.

When I preview the 21MP image, zoomed to 100% and try to pan across the image with the help of provided trackpad on my MBP, the response coming very slow and stuck manner (when going slowly, you can get that the image moves from so many pixels in the flow of the movement rather than going proper manner). It consumes near about 5 'sweeps' of the trackpad to move across the entire image.

Re: Photoshop CS5 Slow Panning

So, I am running with the same problem, where panning around with either the trackpad or my Wacom tablet results in a much less smooth experience than on CS4. I am working on a MacBook Pro which has the configuration of 15 inch, 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHz. I used it on both the 9400M ("Better Battery Life") and the 9600M ("Higher Performance") graphics and the result is commonly the same actually as I just stated that the panning is more slower when I use the 9400M.

So to clarify:

1- When working with the 9600M, panning on CS4 and CS5 is the same.
    2- When working with the 9400M, panning in CS4 is the same, but in CS5 it's a lot slower and choppier.

Seems very interesting , you can get a difference between the two different GPUs . I have recently rechecked my results and for the me the problem is just as worst whether Automatic Graphic switching is configured as on or off, for example . Using the faster or slower GPU. To my mind, it doesn't even looks to be associated with the capacity of the Graphics Processor. Just performing a little bit operation at 100% magnification with the information tab open, slow panning with the help of trackpad moves 16 pixels at a time consistently. This compared to CS4's smooth 1 pixel panning. This advices to me that, slow panning aside, the jerkiness is a one of the software problem . Have you used this in the Adobe Camera Raw 6 matedobray?

Yeah ! But you have a latest mac that points the method you use for your GPU is absolutely different,one more thing, you are running with different types of GPUs to switch between. Mine is the older type where you either go for the 9600M or 9400M.

But, I have tried the Camera Raw and panning there looks to be well. From the Photoshop CS5, panning is well with my 9600M, and what I figured out with the 9400M is that it sometimes pans properly and sometimes gets annoyingly sticky ... I still require to operate around with this, but it looks that we don't have the exact similar issue !

Fine , there is not so much response , does that indicates that I am the only one guys going on with such type of issue here ? If there is somebody else out there having an i7 MBP maybe they could try to replicate my results. By the way, I have tried to go with the 32bit mode with the same evaluation .

Hi everybody, I am also one of the Mac user and gone through the whole thread and replies also suggested by members. Actually, I have Mac Pro with the ATI HD 4870 and while the speed of the flicked image is well going , if I move to stop the panning mid-process then just I frequently get a momentary redraw where the picture is displayed offset from where this should be and then moves back. Going to do as the similar with the CS4 never shows such type of problems .