Thread: Copy and paste from word to InDesign - foreign characters

Copy and paste from word to InDesign - foreign characters

I have a Word file using foreign typefaces, Chinese, Korean etc. I have the fonts on my apparatus for the reason that the word document demonstrates them OK. Additional than if I try to copy and paste the text into InDesign, those characters moreover do not demonstrate at the entire, or you immediately get the pink color by means of the diminutive gray squares. Does anybody out there have several tips for how to handle this type of situation.

Re: Copy and paste from word to InDesign - foreign characters

Well, you determine to necessitate having fonts installed that hold up or maintain the languages in query. InDesign tries to sort fonts by script support, so if you scroll to the substructure of your fonts register you determine to locate a category of Trad Chinese fonts, a category of Simplified Chinese fonts, a category of Korean fonts, et cetera. My Import alternative are set to 'Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables' and 'Import Styles Automatically' by means of utilize InDesign Style Definition' for together Paragraph and Character Style Conflicts.

Are you certain you have comprised the skillset essential to typeset these languages without inducing errors. It's not as simple as it looks. Some versions or descriptions of English-language ID would not respect word boundaries in Korean, so it determines to break in the middle of words without warning you (a critical error). Knowing whether you are Chinese is Trad or Simplified determine to maintain you from offending your target audience by using the wrong font by means of the wrong glyph shapes. There are so numerous "gotchas" in typesetting East Asian scripts that I frequently inform people who post questions similar to yours (the kind of beginner questions that I would expect to hear from a apprentice in their extremely first day of work in this situation) to consider jobbing it out to somebody who specializes in this field.

Essentially we do a lot of typesetting in InDesign using these font sets. Lots of intercontinental work being done approximately here. This was somebody looking to copy and paste text from word, which I generally do not do, so that is why I was speculating if there were several tricks out there to getting superior success. And yes, it is not as simple as it looks. Providentially, we have folks that are able to speak the language approximately here, and proofreaders that are able to handle the proofing. The entire in excess of again, this is additional of an issue going from Word to InDesign.

It might be one of a number of dissimilar things. I approximately always place as an alternative of copy/paste, additional than I do not have several difficulty copying & pasting multifaceted script text of any sort in several of my various versions or descriptions and platforms. I would figure that there are two dissimilar probable routes - moreover there's something regarding the styling or clipboard that is doing this (meaning that it might be unpacked exactly the similar way as any font drops no complex-script knowledge compulsory) or there's something regarding the non-Latin text itself that is causing the difficulty. Take a look at the clipboard settings (Edit -> Preferences -> Clipboard Handling) to observe if changing those settings resolves the problem, by e.g. changing the settings to raw text.

If that does not work, I would recommend posting a lot additional detail. Platform, versions or descriptions of Word and Indy, the particular fonts that are failing, a explanation of how styles are set up in the present Word and Indy docs, perhaps a illustration of the Word and Indy docs zipped up and made obtainable for testing (e.g. if I be able to effectively copy/paste into the doc when your user cannot, then there's something incorrect by means of the user's install), and so on. Without that kind of information in sequence, the most excellent I be able to do is take random guesses.

Oh, no suspicions on the finger wagging. You be supposed to do immediately that for something similar to this for the reason that it is quite the task to tackle. Superior people are warned than not OK-I determine to create certain their clipboard and similar to you said, if I tranquil cannot figure it out, I determine to post additional of the information in sequence that you recommended. There are additional possibilities, supplementary than that strikes me as the most obvious one.