Thread: Windows PCIe device driver Problem. Windows crashes on data reception from PCIe interface.

Windows PCIe device driver Problem. Windows crashes on data reception from PCIe interface.

I am writing a PCIe device driver. With PCIe I have a storage device connected. I have allocated a buffer in memory using malloc() which I use to transmit data to and receive from my hardware. In my hardware, I have a DMA which uses physical addresses for data transmission.The transmission of data to storage device is working fine, that is whatever data I have in memory buffer is transmitted correctly to the hardware but as soon as I try to receive any data from my hardware in that buffer(in host memory), windows crashes!!I have tested it on Windows Vista and Windows 7 but both crashed on reading. I think windows is not letting PCIe write on its memory. If this is the issue, can you suggest anything to overcome this problem? Or if you think there is anything else which is causing this problem, please let me know.
    Any help is appreciated.

Re: Windows PCIe device driver Problem. Windows crashes on data reception from PCIe interface.

Have you tried disabling DEP for windows explorer? Are these local directories that you are trying to run files or just browsing the folders? I also had a similar problem that was caused by a video card driver and all it took to fix it for me was deleting the thumbnail temp files and letting windows regenerate them.

Re: Windows PCIe device driver Problem. Windows crashes on data reception from PCIe interface.

Yes I disabled DEPs for windows explorer but with same results!
    I didn't get when you said : "Are these local directories that you are trying to run files or just browsing the folders?". I think I couldn't make my point clear.
    Actually I am using Windriver(if you have heard about it) to make my driver.
    The problem I get is when data from my hardware comes through PCIe interface. Windows does not let this data to be written on the memory I have allocated on host side due to its security, I think!!
    Where did you deleted the thumbnail temporary files from?does windows generate them automatically?

I am not so good in WinDriver but there is appropriate solution for you. You can send a technical request to WinDriver online support. They will give you the exact and proper answer for your query. I am providing you a direct link below for the same. Just click on the link and then fill up the form. You will get relevant feedback on the same.
    WinDriver Technical Support

Mr. Ken I am not taking about Wind River! it is WinDriver. The link you sent me is inappropriate for my query.
    But thanks you so much that you tried to help.

I guess, this is what you are talking about: WinDriver's driver development solution. The link given Mr.Ken is about Wind River Systems, Inc but the domain name sounds like the same. Anyways, i hope this will work for you.